2019 - Actual, Bigger, and Better Downtown

My family walked around DT a bit on NYE afternoon and I had the same thought on the crane. Very lame.

1 Like
3 Likes
4 Likes
3 Likes

Jeff Speck is a genius! I’m currently reading his latest book, Walkable City Rules, and it’s really good.

3 Likes

I was revisiting some of my saved youtubes, and thought that there were important enough to share. I too really admire Jeff Speck. I like the way that he breaks it down for logical and easy consumption.

2 Likes

Something that Raleigh should seriously think, and do Now not in 20 years from now. After watching the Video, City leaders, State and Local, and Developers should come together for the good of the Neighborhood. Condos are nice but not everyone can afford a condo, so why not build affordable apartments, townhome and duplexs storefronts that people can get to with walkable access and Transit. I do love this video and I pray that DTR and Raleigh can implement this to some degree.

Would love if he ( Jeff Speck ) can visit Raleigh and meet with the Mayor and city leaders to speak about walkable cities.

3 Likes

Me too! Everyone should check out oak city CRE’s urbanist book share. eepurl.com/gbugrv

I am sorry, what exactly am I signing up for? Email address and all?

Ha, I guess that does look sketchy. I know Jed who runs it, and he is a cool guy. Go follow him on twitter or sign up for his newsletter (I guess that is an email too) if you are interested to know more.

He has a medium site at well if that helps https://medium.com/@OakCityCRE

3 Likes

Without overthinking the question, and by going from your gut reaction, which DT District would you say the Peace/Smokey Hollow project is in? It’s sort of a trick question because, if you go by the mapping that has been in place for quite some time, it’s in two districts. The main Peace building is in The Capital District, while the parking attached to it, and the entirety of phase 2 is in Glenwood South. Phase 3 goes back to the Capital District. This makes no sense to me at all.
https://mediocreradionetwork.com/map-of-raleigh-nc/downtown-raleigh-map-ideal-map-of-raleigh-nc/
It seems to me that it’s time to re-think the way that DT Raleigh actually lives and re-map the neighborhoods. For me, Glenwood South goes all the way east to Capital Blvd, but I am not so certain how far south it goes as it meets the borders of The Capital District and The Warehouse District. Similarly, the new One Glenwood Building is in Glenwood South, but the Origin Hotel across the street is not. Then there’s the Quorum Building and Metropolitan Apartments. Where in the heck are they in your mind? And, what about Flying Saucer? With which district do you associate them? For me, they are in the Warehouse District, but that’s not where they actually are.
My intitial gut reaction is to stop The Capital District at Dawson St. and have it not go any further west. I’d follow that up through Capital Blvd. to establish its western boundary. I’d also push The Warehouse District northward to Hillsborough Street between Dawson to the east and the train tracks to the west (the tracks just east of the south end of Glenwood). Then I’d put the remaining western side of the current Capital District into Glenwood South. Additionally, I’d use that same tracks to extend Glenwood South to include the properties that front Morgan St. between them and St. Mary’s St. This would start at The Origin hotel.

2 Likes