301 Hillsborough / Raleigh Crossing

I just like having stuff being built that I can walk by at lunch and check out. My lunch walking route has changed over the years, but other than 2008, something has always been going on since 2000 or so.

I agree that Phase 2 and Two Glenwood will happen first, but they’re under 20 stories. I wouldn’t be terribly surprised if you’re right and the next 20+ is for Pendo.

City hall isn’t supposed to start until 2023. I think the strongest candidates will be:
Kane’s 2 towers.
Edison.

S. Saunders might start but I don’t think their first move will be their tallest. Same with Exploris. Who knows when/if RUSBUS tower will get built.

1 Like

I don’t think that we can underestimate the positive trigger that the “triumvirate” of Peace/Capital realignment, Peace/Publix, and Smokey Hollow will have on future development. When that area gets activated in a big way following the completion of Smokey Hollow, I think that we’ll see a lot of adjacent activity beyond the phase 3 tower.

10 Likes

There was an article on TBJ indicating the developer was planning to move forward with the building soon, though I can’t recall whether that was based on the contract with the City or not.

1 Like

I feel like it was, but I can’t recall either. A lot of lazy journalism can be misleading. Like the Peace St bridge article indicating the bridge was done. Who really knows. I’m just happy if any of these projects would move forward

3 Likes

Highwoods Properties is reviving plans to build a 20-story mixed-use office tower on a downtown parcel that the publicly-traded real estate company acquired two years ago.

Senior Highwoods officials say final development plans are in the hands of Rule Joy Trammell + Rubio. The Atlanta-based architecture firm is modifying the plans originally submitted by the previous owner of the 0.7-acre site, Edison Land LLC, an affiliate of Beacon Partners.

This was the article, for reference: https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/news/2018/12/04/highwoods-plots-20-story-building-near-moore.html

7 Likes

Nothing to see, but the project is up for another round of administrative site review as of today.

https://community.dtraleigh.com/t/the-raleigh-wire-service/748/101

4 Likes

The N&O has picked up on the story:

https://www.newsobserver.com/news/business/article226426440.html

9 Likes

We’ve got plans.

https://www.raleighnc.gov/content/PlanDev/Documents/DevServ/DevPlans/Reviews/2019/SiteReview%20/SR-009-19.pdf

9 Likes

I heard a rumor a couple months ago that the new buyer also bought the flying saucer lot. Glad to see that’s not true.

I’m confused why/how they’re doing this in multiple phases. The buildings look connected.

2 Likes

The office building will not be 20 floors. I count only 18, including the parking deck floors. That appears to be why it is so short.

How did you manage to upload that pdf? I tried a few hours ago but it wouldn’t let me due to the size of the file. I’m glad you were able to do so.

It looks like 2 towers connected at the base parking deck. I was having trouble imagining how this would go, but the site plans cleared it up for me.

2 Likes

Looking at the elevations, it’s actually three towers. Office, hotel and residential.

3 Likes

It’s 20 stories but that doesn’t mean 20 ‘floors’. If you look at the scale on the side of the office diagram you will see they count the stories. The parapet counts as a story even though it will likely not be occupied by office space but utilities.

2 Likes

I just linked the one on the Raleigh Dev site.

2 Likes

Regardless of the actual floor count, the developer needs to maintain the total height of the project at or below 250 feet. Different types of uses have different floor to floor heights. Commercial space has the tallest floor to floor height among the various uses in the building. To add one more commercial floor probably took the building above the 250 feet, and they probably made the decision to stay below that limit rather than ask for a variance. That’s my guess.

2 Likes

Anyone else think it’s odd to have the retail along Dawson St and not on Hillsborough?

4 Likes

A few key tidbits from a great article in the TBJ. Author - Ben Graham.

The company’s plans include three towers. In addition to the Phase 1 office project, later phases are slated to include two 19-story buildings, one for lodging and another for residential. A parking deck serving all three buildings will be constructed as part of the first phase and integrated into the office building.

As a new player in the market, the company decided to build within the existing zoning allowances, rather than seek more density through a rezoning request with the City Council. “We didn’t want to send a message that we’re bullying our way through,” Fallon says.

While the Fallon Company is continuing to push its 301 Hillsborough St. project toward groundbreaking, the firm is already eyeing more investment in the urban centers of Raleigh and Durham. Fallon says the firm has “several offers” out on properties in both cities.

Construction is expected to wrap up in the fourth quarter of 2021.

9 Likes

I thought the same thing at first. It’s not well marked, but if you look at the north elevation it appears that there will be two retail spaces along Hillsborough in addition to the “restaurant” space at Hillsborough and Harrington as well as the garage entrance and the two lobbies (office and hotel).

2 Likes