401 Cabarrus Apartments

Or crawl under…

I’ve seen all sorts of pedestrian shenanigans over the years at that crossing.

Personally, I do. We need pedestrian and bike only streets around here.

5 Likes

Yeah, well, this project has been sitting on everybody’s want list absent a funding source for quite awhile. But, it was the best I could do to make my point.

:laughing:

3 Likes

Here is a pre demo photo. This was taken from depot building across the train tracks. Maybe @OakCityDylan can get a good overhead with his drone sometime.

20 Likes

I don’t think that’s what he means. Cabarrus street will be closed at the RR tracks when the West St Extension is completed. The last I heard is that there were no plans for creating a ped/bike connection on Cabarrus in this scenario. People have requested access be preserved for ped/bikes during public input on West Street extension, but I haven’t seen any plans for that.

4 Likes

este edificio tiene 12 pisos.

1 Like

No doce pisos. No viente

A bit more info submitted to the city. Each floor plan if you are interested:

16 Likes

I am really liking this building. Really hope it becomes reality.

4 Likes

I will let’s just be positive

Looks like there will be a lot of units without windows in the bedrooms since they are so long and narrow with the narrow ends along the curtain wall.

Long strip of retail planned along West St! :raised_hands:

10 Likes

Neighborhood meeting last night on the rezoning from DX-5 to DX-12-CU. Developer is wanting to make the site more useable across zoning districts (the other portion is already DX-12). I guess when you get to ASR and project design you find out some things are hard or impossible to do. That seems to be what has happened to them. I am totally ok with the 12 stories. I just want them to design a building that is as unique and cool as the one they currently have in ASR. They seem to be on board with doing that.

This project will now be held up by two years according to the developer (boo). The entire block is deserted and a total trash mess and an eye sore. To me that is the downside for the neighborhood.

The smallish group had some concerns (mostly FW neighbors) which I think are fairly easy to accommodate. I don’t really see any issues with this rezoning passing. Both sides are now DX-12 with 520 Harrington getting their rezoning passed in December.

6 Likes

I’d have gone but I had an after work hours work thing come up and couldn’t make it. Thanks for the summary, @svp! Disappointing for sure that they’re going to be delayed but as you said, mostly because that part of the block is unsightly at this point and is only going to get worse. I wish they’d proceed with demo so it’s at least a grass field, or even parking lot. Better than abandoned buildings, IMO. At the end of the day, I’m happy they’re trying to do more with the property.

Kind of makes you wish the Fairweather development team had tried harder to get more from our space…

4 Likes

I drove by the other night and the people in that encampment forming in the empty lot across the street were lighting a fire on the ground… haven’t seen them since.

Hopefully when the other apartments open that whole area is cleaned up a bit more. Currently it’s a magnet for the above scenarios given it’s poorly lit and does not have much transit on foot/car after dark.

1 Like

Yup, hate to see people living on the streets but between Raleigh Rescue Mission on Hargett and Oak City Cares on S. Wilmington, there ARE resources for these people - they just need to choose to accept them, which many actually don’t.

4 Likes

So…the Council meeting to consider the rezoning of the mid-block is September 5th. The developer told us at their neighborhood meeting that they planned to start the building a year from rezoning anticipating that it would take that long to finish ASR. I don’t anticipate that there will be any issues with approval of the rezoning on September 5th. Concerns of the FW and Planning Board were met.

However, I must wonder if the developer is considering slow-walking this project. About a month ago a towing company took over the surface parking. And now BOA will consider a special use permit to allow the old Helen Wright Center to be used as a white flag shelter. While both these uses seems to be temporary in nature, it does seem to be an indication that nothing will happen in the short to mid term.

1 Like

This was unanimously passed. Site plans filed give it 298 units and 8k sq ft of retail. TBJ mentioned there are conditions to the rezoning including limiting the hours and size of any restaurants. It doesn’t say what they are.

12 Likes

I saw that this morning, it’s exciting for sure, but further down the article regarding the housing development in Southeast Raleigh, parts really makes me scratch my head.

We were told the reason the rezoning in Smoky Hollow was rejected was due in fact that a certain number of residents opposed the development. But here we have 700 residents opposing a housing development for almost the exact reasons the 15 people who opposed the rezoning case and that was rejected. Why would this be approved? How stupidly inconsistent is this process? We are governed by people who operate on emotion and feeling instead of logic and reason.

Despite facing opposition, including a petition with more than 700 signatures, the City Council approved a rezoning for 522 acres on Hodge Road to allow for a planned development by Mungo Homes.

The rezoning was for the site next to the proposed apartment building though?