865 W Morgan Street (former Goodnight's)

That’s a good story that demonstrates that there are brand implications and city identity tied up in our historic collection of buildings.
Had this building been closer to the very core of the city, or on a more walkable street, I suspect that it would have already been on the register. It does suffer a bit based on its specific location.

3 Likes

My parents moved to Asheville when I was 4 years old in 1986. Some of the last vestiges of conventional retail were still located downtown like JC Penneys and Woolworth’s, but those stores were pretty run down by that point. The memory of the smell of stale grease from the Woolworth’s lunch counter still lingers in my mind today. And of course then as now, Tops for Shoes was and remains an institution. Beyond that, though, there was little reason to ever go downtown other than the public library.

There is an oft-stated story that Asheville’s depression era municipal debt kept them from participating in urban renewal, and it contains a kernel of truth, but its impact is substantially exaggerated: something of an urban legend at this point. Asheville was definitely not immune to urban renewal. South Charlotte Street was an example, plowing under much of Asheville’s black business district (not unlike what the Durham Freeway did to Hayti) as were the realignment of Woodfin Avenue, the Renaissance Hotel, the Akzona Building, even I-240 to some extent. The cynic in me wonders if the impacts were as limited as they were just because Asheville never had as many black people as other places, whose homes and businesses could be condemned to make room for a highway or whatever.

What is true, though, is that from 1930 to 1980 (a time frame in which Raleigh grew from 37,000 to 150,000) Asheville’s population growth was almost zero, stagnating and treading water at around 50,000, kind of mirroring what happened elsewhere in appalachia for 50 years before its fortunes turned around and growth resumed. No growth basically meant less demand for new construction.

6 Likes

The Pine State Creamery and Dillon buildings are good examples of saving DTR buildings or facades there of…this is an excellent opportunity to lead by design example. :nerd_face:

15 Likes

Coincidence this same pic was used in the #RALtoday newsletter this morning?

1 Like
10 Likes

I did my walk of the property recently and seeing it again in a new light, the Goodnights building isn’t half bad. What I think folks are really wanting through is that facade. Saving the face of a building isn’t new, I feel like that’s the compromise here. When I look at the back, it’s just a red brick box really. The only example I can think of this happening is over at the Renovation at Historic Ideal Cleaning Co. & Lumsden Bros. Building

21 Likes

Entire facades are saved in MIami Beach, as new buildings are essentially built in the old envelope. Then the old facade is attached to the new building. This has allowed the city to retain its historic charm, while upgrading buildings to address hurricanes, flooding, termites, fires, etc., that come with these aging and often wooden structures.
This facade can be saved a la Dillon. All that has to happen is for the city to compel them to do it.

7 Likes

I prefer if they can save some portion of the original structure but keeping the facade only would probably be enough. This is one of the nicer facades in the city, would be a shame for it to go.

12 Likes

They updated the Site Review Application with the site plan by the way…

6 Likes

This looks great, but imagine how much greater it would be if they incorporated Goodnight’s… At least the facade

8 Likes

overlay for neighborhood context and also the old building

10 Likes

Nice - Seems like they ought to be able to incorporate the building without too much redesign. And the façade should be even easier.

3 Likes

Meh, it’s an ugly box and I see no indication they will try to incorporate the facade. Big L for Charlo–I mean Raleigh.

2 Likes

Can I per-reserve one of those coveted spots over looking the parking deck, train tracks and the prison??

8 Likes

Goodnight is goodbye.

10 Likes

F*** all of this :rage: :rage: :rage:

4 Likes

I mean, nice looking building. Just wish it wasn’t knocking down a building with such character. Or fit around it.

7 Likes

Maybe I should move to Charlotte? Same energy but at least they have a skyline for it.

4 Likes

Ehh. Other than the facade I find nothing special about the goodnight building . Rather have other lots developed first but I will take the density.

9 Likes

What makes a place interesting is diversity. This redevelopment bulldozes some of that diversity and puts something mundane and unimaginative in its place. The facade of the Goodnight structure has architectural interest, and it has quality building materials designed to more effectively stand the test of time, and even get better with age. The Goodnight building is an asset for our community because of those factors. It could be an asset for the developer if utilized it could’ve made their parcel distinctive and unique, yet the developer is short sighted and uninspired opting for homogeneity and the easier way out for the property redevelopment, which is a shame. This building also has built in value because of the community’s good times at Goodnights. I have great memories of going to this lovely old building for a laugh. People have been complaining that cities have no memory for quite awhile, I suppose I’m just one of those folks.

19 Likes