Bloc 83 - One Glenwood, Two Hillsborough, and Phase 3

I can actually see this deck from my building in Miami Beach. When they were building it, I was very skeptical, but it’s turned out to be quite the jewel. For special occasions, the garage even takes on many colorful interpretations at night due to its LED lighting capabilities.
Of course, this deck was designed by Herzog & de Meuron, not a mom & pop design firm.
As for the penthouse, the Brazilian developer had it built it for himself and has since sold it. In addition to the massive condo, the outdoor space for it continues onto the building roof next door, which was incorporated into the overall project.
The view from the top level of parking is quite stunning, and it’s a favorite to take people when they visit from out of town.
To some others who’ve replied: If you look at my original post on this garage, I never said that Raleigh should/could build something as spectacular. 1111Lincoln is possibly the most architecturally significant building of its type in the World. I am only asking for a little creativity, and I put this out there as an example of what has been done.

1 Like

The DIllon parking deck is also not terrible from certain spots… :smiley:

4 Likes

Dillon’s deck is mid block. Same for “Edison”/skyhouse. This is much less toxic than an unscreened corner lot. It gets worse. Due to the offset intersection at Boylan, this parking deck will be the terminal vista of Boylan Avenue looking south. Sigh.

1 Like

Just published my blog post on the renderings and Bloc 83 parking deck and it’s nothing new to this conversation. However, I’m not sure I share the same negative outcomes that are stated here.

https://dtraleigh.com/2018/11/one-glenwood-two-hillsborough-parking-deck-bloc-83/

Yes, at first, I was rolling my eyes at another deck but I’m still thinking this is far better than what is there now. I’m happy to see quite a bit of retail between all the towers and the deck to be honest.

This block becomes much more walkable when fully built out and could be pretty active if the retail spaces land businesses that bring in people at different parts of the day.

The big question I have in my mind is if the height limit was a big factor in the parking deck being built where it is. Would no height limit have caused Bloc 83 to have built the deck into the new development??

4 Likes

Just have to look at the Wilmington side of Alexander Square Parking Deck. 4 empty retail spots and pedestrians and car conflicting at a blind parking deck exit. Probably see some bicyclists get hurt from drivers who exit too quickly without looking since Hillsborough carries more bike traffic than most roads.

Plus drivers frustrated at the foot traffic stopping them from exiting the parking deck as quickly as they want.

1 Like

Going to be one of the most productive blocks in all of the city. Really like the feel and vibe, feeling like this will make Glenwood south grow up a little. Nice compliment to GS and it looks awesome all the way down Glenwood from Wade.

With the addition of 1,000 more parking spaces between the Origin Hotel and this new deck, we should now talk about the opportunity to remove on-street parking along one side of Glenwood Ave (between Peace and Morgan Streets), and put in a bike/scooter lane.

4 Likes

There are solutions for slowing the traffic that’s exiting a deck and conflicting with pedestrians and cyclists.
Putting in arms at the exits that only allow one car to exit at a time (only after stopping) could greatly improve safety.

1 Like

A nice first step to removing all street parking on Glenwood between Peace and Morgan!

I wonder how we could show that the increase in parking supply via decks justifies the removal of on-street parking spaces to be used for something else? I mean one deck adds hundreds of spaces but one block of on-street, we’re talking only a handful of spaces for cars.

On-street space should really be given to personal devices like bikes, scooters, motorcycles. You’d get so many more people parking directly in front of ground-floor businesses.

I wonder if anyone has framed that kind of setup as more advantageous than what we’re currently doing right now.

4 Likes

Um, no thanks…

A first step would be to convince street facing businesses to appreciate and support giving up the few on-street spaces in front of their business. As Glenwood South “grows up”, businesses should expect an increasingly higher share of downtown based customers to arrive on foot, bike, scooter or bus, and that those driving in from outside downtown will use park & ride oriented facilities or pay to park within nearby decks.

Getting rid of street parking would mean we would most likely have to pay to use the parking garages. I personally like being able to park on the street for free on the weekends.

It’s far from free to provide parking downtown, so why should it be free to use it, even on the weekends?

3 Likes

This is a good reason for the city to start chargeing for street parking 24/7

2 Likes

Its a nice perk that Raleigh has on the weekend. If you remember the state owned parking decks used to be free as well but a few years ago they changed that. I am sure it will eventually be changed for street parking as well. But for the time being I will surely take advantage of the free* parking on the weekends over paying to use a parking deck that is in the same area.

It seems like most of the parking around there is on the side streets anyway so I think Glenwood could afford to lose one side of the street to bike/scooter lanes.

I agree with that. I was just responding to the idea of, “removing all on street parking” (in this surrounding area) .

The 10 Year Priority Plan calls for a separated bikeway on Boylan from Peace to Western. Nothing planned on Glenwood. I think I am fine with the curbside parking there. Price it so that there is quick turnover.

2 Likes

This may sound silly, but make parking payment as streamlined as 540 toll Rd. charges and you’ll catch way more people willing to park in paid spots. Out of sight out of mind, like gas tax.

There’s something about the hustle of feeding a meter and beating or outsmarting the parking enforcement that makes it feel hostile and undeserved.

7 Likes