Capital Square - 320 W. South Street

Does PD zoning allow developers to ask for different regs? Still developing in Raleigh seems like a hassle. A developer in Charlotte announced and built a 20 story mix-use tower in about a year and a half. It was just topped out recently. That would never happen in Raleigh.

3 Likes

if they already had zoning and built to zoning then goes much faster. That’s why we are seeing lot of up zoning request where it’s obvious that current owner will not develop it.

3 Likes

I think everyone should donate to the lost kitten fund. :crying_cat_face:

6 Likes

PD zoning has to roughly conform with the underlying zoning. (Raleigh’s UDO [4.7.2.D] is even stricter: residential density in the PD must be lower than the underlying zone.)

The two can be done as a double filing, with the change-base-zoning filing nominally preceding the rezoning-to-PD filing. Say you wanted to do an 18-story building as a PD. You’d first file a DX-5 to DX-20 rezoning, then a DX-20 to PD rezoning. But that begs the question: why not just do the upzone and then built by-right?

2 Likes

Looks like the planning commission approved this. That sort of slipped through with all the excitement with DoSo.

10 Likes

Potentially @OakCityDylan will have construction right outside his front door! If he moves in before they complete this project!

7 Likes

We’ll have to get him some shade tolerant plants for a housewarming gift…

9 Likes

I’m not holding my breath. I bet we see this project (320/328 W. South St) top off before we get our unit ready for close.
:man_facepalming:t3:

3 Likes

The 20 story rezoning in the area of Dawson St . on the West Side & between South St . & W. Lenior St . will be before Council Tuesday Jan . 5th . Planning Commission approved this 9 to 0 .

13 Likes

Can anyone Zome the council meeting today on the 20 story rezoning @ Lenior / South St . area ? I’m not able to . Thanks !

I don’t see it available yet.

2 Likes

If this gets approved (which it seems likely to) it bodes well for the prospect of a future massive redevelopment of Heritage Park. If 20 story buildings are on the table here, then thousands of mixed-income units could easily get built in place of the 122 that are there today.

13 Likes

Public hearing scheduled for 2 February.

7 Likes

Rezoning to 20 stories approved, unless I misheard. No public opposition so that was a quick vote.

18 Likes

This is direct in our view at the Fairweather and I approve, though we weren’t here for the neighborhood meeting and I didn’t sign up to speak in support. I still approve and am glad to see this pushed forward.

12 Likes

Hoping for a 20 story concrete storage center for you… :crossed_fingers:

7 Likes

Watching the recorded council meeting, the applicant mentioned he had discussions with the RHA and they mentioned that they are pursuing plans to redevelop Heritage Park.

My only advice to them is, GO FOR THE MOON. To beat my same tired old drum, anything less than 1000 units would be an abject waste. 2000 units is a better goal. Deeply affordable, small-a affordable, market rate, and even luxury units could all feasibly be a part of a massive rework of this aging complex.

17 Likes

Clearly Heritage Park’s buildings are nearing the end of their useful lives, and the time is right to do something bigger and better. It sounds promising that its reinvention won’t follow in the footsteps of the Walnut Terrace mistake.

4 Likes

Update on 320 W. South St. 20-story mixed use.

Site Plan review application

Dawson St. Elevation

22 Likes

Whooooooaaa. Its a real project!! Definitely thought this was a rezone and hold to sell situation.

5 Likes