Platform and West End II - Development at W Cabarrus/S Saunders

With the way timber prices have skyrocketed it may not be. But hopefully by the time they move forward prices will have self corrected

3 Likes

I’m with you on this. Holding out hope we get a spark of resurrected projects and new in 2021.

5 Likes

I guess something changed since then? :woman_shrugging: The design rep also stated the same as below. Unless “completely wrapped” doesn’t mean completely …

3 Likes

Site prep?

11 Likes

Just looking at this view… man, this project is going to totally transform this part of town!

4 Likes

Somewhat following up on the topic from the 121 Fayetteville thread, if we were given an opportunity to influence John Kane’s development focus, I agree with @John on SmoHo 3 (and eventually 4 if that were to happen). That said, I really wish Kane hadn’t pulled this Master Plan rezoning request as I’m fairly certain the current city council would have approved it, and in the end, the Boylan Heights HOA crew would have been happy with the results (though they may not have ever admitted it). Either way, I’m excited for this project kicking off and I’d love to see them rethink the other half of the block. Hopefully that’s what’s in order with them only developing half for now.

4 Likes

Thinking a little harder on this, if you go back to the last Master Plan massing, what Kane is doing is essentially building the yellow portion based on current zoning and hopefully going back to a rezoning request for the east half. Makes sense to me. :joy:

11 Likes

Probably stormwater / utility work…
Low expectations, happy life

4 Likes

Thoughts on daylighting the stream. It would be ideal if the entire creek could be daylighted. We don’t have Greenville’s waterfall, but people love water, seeing it, hearing it and interacting by it. NC’s progressive 50’ stream buffers could be limiting development, because as the streams, which exist, are daylighted, the buffers are to be reestablished - 50’ from each stream bank (100’+). The daylighted stretch shown may not happen because this natural filter must be added to cleanse storm water. (This applies to streams in the Neuse and Tar River basins to protect water/Sounds downstream). #streambuffers101

5 Likes

I believe it’s the beginning of the sewer line and culvert upgrades that will start soon. Get ready for W Cabarrus to be closed for a bit while that’s going down.

I’m about to have a front-row seat to construction for the next 2.5 years. :construction_worker_woman:

4 Likes

Yeah, it’s definitely the start of the utility work and upgrades. I’ve seen Clancy trucks in and out all day. Here we go!

3 Likes

An unmaintained, weedy creek bed that only flows when it rains would be hard to call an amenity, but a constant, measurable water flow through a landscaped area could. If it’s the former I would prefer to keep the creek in a pipe, and have a building that properly addresses the sidewalk. If it’s the latter, I’m still skeptical, but willing to entertain the possibility.

4 Likes

Most intermittent water courses would not be classified as streams, so no buffers required. The buffers are people friendly, but no hardscape, unless an applied variance is approved by the NC Environmental Management Commission. Yeah, in this limited space, I’d bet on the entire stream remaining piped.

1 Like

Part of this is daylighted along Rosengarten Alley. It fits somewhere between those two descriptions but definitely leans toward the former. It’s certainly an amenity for mosquitoes and kudzu, although a surprising amount of other wildlife seem to like it, too.

Hey, neighbor! :wave:

1 Like

This seems like a way earlier version? Weren’t the most recent office buildings both proposed for ~7 floors? And I think the daylit creek was an idea I threw out there as a “it’d be cool if…” did they actually add that?!?

1 Like

The Master Plan had a 20-story “tower” back against the tracks. Anything after that and less than 20 stories was after they pulled the rezoning request I believe.

Recently spoke to someone who was formerly on the design team for the two mass timber office buildings… supposedly they’re not happening anymore and got replaced with more residential, which is not surprising but still a huge shame. I think variety in building type, use, scale, and massing is what sets projects like these apart.

7 Likes

Did they say why it’s not happening anymore? It would’ve been awesome to see mass timber-based buildings, especially since they have the potential to be environmentally-friendly and helpful for building things faster and cheaper:

3 Likes

I wonder how recent that news/assumption is. I had lunch with someone closer to the truth than a contractor only a few months ago and the timber construction option was still on the table for Cabarrus phase 2.

5 Likes

When Kane met with our neighborhood a few months ago (we are heavily impacted by the construction) they mentioned that the office space is currently not moving forward just based on the current market (aka tons of WFH due to COVID). At that time they were just not developing that space and holding off until the market picked back up. They didn’t mention anything about additional residential, in fact they stated that they felt very confident that this portion of the project would still move forward as planned, just at a later date.

That being said, things can change. I don’t think any new residential will be going in during this phase of construction though because I don’t think they have any design work complete for it.

5 Likes