Platform and West End II - Development at W Cabarrus/S Saunders

This location is literally 600 feet (2 min walk) from Raleigh Union Station.

1 Like

most of these houses are 70+ years old

They’re single family. Some properties have no off-street parking. Those that have off-street parking may only have one space or tandem driveways that mean one car is blocked in by the other. The residents use the street parking a lot. Saunders is narrow, one-way, and parking is only on one side.

This is a small, old, relatively dense neighborhood. Saunders and Rosengarten are probably two of the most unique residential streets (well, Rosengarten is really an alley) in Raleigh.

1 Like

I like your idea, but Kane definitely plans to have a huge parking deck in this development. They also plan to have a large number of residential units, and without decent public transit, those need parking to be marketable.

1 Like

Which currently has only Amtrak running to it. Nothing else. Look, I get what you are wanting, but that simply isn’t feasible.

1 Like

12 posts were split to a new topic: General Parking Discussion

I’m curious if there is any more movement on this given the recent rumblings across Cabarrus between West/Harrington. Seems the Kane development probably had some influence on that new info of Cabarrus/West/Harrington.

1 Like

We had another neighborhood meeting with Kane before the holidays (with nothing new to report), but I think the rezoning request is still in early review stages. They were going to redo the traffic study on Cabarrus because when they originally did it, Cabarrus was closed at the RR crossing and had been for awhile so traffic counts wouldn’t be accurate.

Per The Raleigh Wire Service:

2018-28
Remarks: Submitted 9-28-18; under review until 11-1-18
Plan URL: https://www.raleighnc.gov/content/PlanDev/Documents/Zoning/Rezoning/RezoningCases/2018/Z-028-18.pdf
CAC: None

UPDATES
Status changed from “Awaiting applicant response to staff review (Nov. 2018)” to “Under review until 1-31-19”

5 Likes

There is a 2.5 acre site on Cabarrus St that has warehouses on it now . A developer will renovate the existing buildings into a project like 1053 Whitaker Warehouse .

5 Likes

Hmmm wonder if this is 517 W Cabarrus?

2 Likes

If I hear anything on this , I will post .

3 Likes

Looks like it! Cabarrus West LLC own two parcels at 517 W. Cabarrus totaling 2.53 acres.

1 Like

The only other place I can think of would be the Dupont Circle warehouses but I think some of those are part of the Kane property.

1 Like

When I read that this property had been purchased, I got the feeling they may be sitting on the land as is, until it appreciates and either sell it, or develop it. I think what is currently there is only a placeholder for future (5-10 year) redevelopment as the property values increase.

2 Likes

I’m starting to confuse all of these new developments in the Boylan Heights area . . .

Not that I’m complaining, though — more development = more density.

2 Likes

Here’s all the things in planning for East of Boylan Below Cabarrus (EaBoBeCa?) I was listing them out to my wife this morning.

Kane’s tower project on Cabarrus, the Warehouse/Dock project (rumored), The Fairweather, the Fairweather related project (where the women’s shelter is), Dusty’s conversion into the BBQ joint,
Crafty Beer Shop on South (this might be dead), South Street Condos, Raleigh Architecture’s new office, 4th Ward Brownstones (corner of Dorthea/Saunders), S.Saunders.
Not to mention whatever happens at Dix and the Rosengarten Greenway project, there’s a lot going on potentially in this section of the city.

7 Likes

This warehouse facade is kind of cool.
The “warehouse district” so named, is very much in danger of losing most of its warehouse character so I like that other areas are retaining some warehouse-y ness. Clouds, The Creamery, Tobacco Road, Melrose Mill…those should be sticking around a long time despite what the district does. Sinking some money into 517 West Cabarrus and it proximity to single family homes might keep this somewhat small warehouse scale intact for our lifetimes.

3 Likes

The warehouses on Dupont are definitely not part of the Kane project, but they have recently come under new ownership (before the Kane project was announced).

2 Likes

I always thought that would be a great place for a little restaurant or beer garden. Not the best view currently but sure to improve with the Kane development

3 Likes

Great list! Would you also include the City Gateway?

2 Likes