Smoky Hollow Park

I was perusing the city website this AM to see if i could glean anything more from it regarding the future park.
Some key data points/info, and my thoughts.

• The park will be about 14 acres
  • As I think that most of us know, the land is undergoing environmental studies.
  • It will cover Peace to Dortch, and West to Capital (excluding existing development along west in that boundary.
  • It will like not have any significant “active park facilities or buildings” because it’s in a floodplain. Personally I think that’s a cop out. I would think that this is yet another project where creativity is called for. If it floods, then why not elevate a boardwalk through a section of the park and put some facilities adjacent? It might be nice to have some overlooks of the park from above, and opportunities to take advantage of the DT view. An elevated walkway could also bridge to the new sidewalk along the west side of Capital to bring people into the park from there.
  • Current projection is to have the project in design documentation in Spring of 2020. My money is on them not making that schedule.
  • I’d really like for this park to have features that become water management when necessary, but have other uses when it’s dry.
    https://www.raleighnc.gov/parks/content/ParksRec/Articles/Projects/DevereuxMeadowsPark.html
7 Likes

another year and a half before it even is designed? if it was up to the city of raleigh to build things, the entire city would be log cabins and cow pastures…

2 Likes

I would presume that there were be schematic designs and community town halls between now and then. They can’t go to construction documents without alignment to a fully developed, community & city government supported design.

Durham is doing something very similar to what you recommend. Using a flood control area north of downtown as a new park and elevated boardwalk. In that case it’s actually going to be wetlands. As per usual, I think you’ve hit on a great idea. Here’s a link to the Durham project if anyone’s curious. https://www.heraldsun.com/news/local/counties/durham-county/article209713499.html

4 Likes

I was looking for a better map of the future park. There’s an interesting map showing the downtown Kane properties, including the park. This will be a nice asset, right across from the tower with the new Publics.

10 Likes

Forget where I saw this forever ago… maybe a NCSU design charrette?

8 Likes

I wonder if there are still plans for a residential development facing the new park, roughly north of peace street, sandwiched on the wedge of land between West St and the creek?

4 Likes

Question:thinking:
Does anyone think that this park is on the back burner due to DIx Park being in DTR as well? I hope it’s not but just wondering…

100% this is the case.

I want to go there.

iwanttogothere

1 Like

I know someone bought those properties, with a plan to develop them, but that was a few years ago.

https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/news/2017/04/03/developer-sale-of-downtown-raleigh-s-flythe.html

Raleigh real estate development partners Don Carter and Bobby Lewis closed on the sale of the former Flythe Cyclery shop building in late March. The duo also own the three adjacent buildings along the West Street block that they’ve been buying in pieces since 2005. The properties backs up to the former Raleigh waste management services lot along Capital Boulevard and future Devereaux Park site.

The former Flythe Cyclery site is already zoned for mixed-use development of up to 12 stories tall, which Carter says makes to a prime future candidate for mid-rise residential and retail development in the future. But Carter says neither he nor Lewis are in a big hurry to begin demolishing buildings

1 Like

I would not be surprised if they sell the assemblage to a developer to build.

Raleigh Development Company: 7 plots, totaling 1.42 acres
Also, NCDOT land on Peace St here is 0.65 acres and likely sold off after the Capital Blvd project is completed.

2 Likes

It makes sense that 1-2 10 story buildings would go there. 10 years from now, driving into DT from capital is gonna be impressive.

3 Likes

I have booked marked their website for future interest:

And of course, dare to dream! :grin::wink:

2 Likes

The half round house still exists! Can be observed from the top level of the State Government parking deck, across from the Archdale building.

2 Likes

The turntable is still there (and still used.) Is that what you mean?

1 Like

Thanks for the links. I love the old photos on the Devereux Meadows site.

3 Likes

My father who grew up in Raleigh in the 50s said he would sneak into Devereux Ball field by going through the stream bed of Pigeon House Branch to watch baseball games at the black ball field.

1 Like