I was perusing the city website this AM to see if i could glean anything more from it regarding the future park.
Some key data points/info, and my thoughts.
- The park will be about 14 acres
- As I think that most of us know, the land is undergoing environmental studies.
- It will cover Peace to Dortch, and West to Capital (excluding existing development along west in that boundary.
- It will like not have any significant “active park facilities or buildings” because it’s in a floodplain. Personally I think that’s a cop out. I would think that this is yet another project where creativity is called for. If it floods, then why not elevate a boardwalk through a section of the park and put some facilities adjacent? It might be nice to have some overlooks of the park from above, and opportunities to take advantage of the DT view. An elevated walkway could also bridge to the new sidewalk along the west side of Capital to bring people into the park from there.
- Current projection is to have the project in design documentation in Spring of 2020. My money is on them not making that schedule.
- I’d really like for this park to have features that become water management when necessary, but have other uses when it’s dry.