Smoky Hollow Park

Because this is Raleigh, where we like to have studies and plans and unforseen delays for every little thing. It’s frustrating to the point of generating complete apathy (for me at least).

4 Likes

I’m guessing Atlanta is and was the same way. I was just never as plugged in as I’m trying to be with things here. But I could’ve sworn I saw something saying this would break ground this year.

The city needs to catch on to our plan moving that western RR track with the SEHSR line and using that as the greenway instead of on West St itself.

2 Likes

Actually the opposite. Option 3 actually follows the flood plain more directly giving more capacity for the stream during high volume rain and flood events and actually provides more usable space across the park due to the positioning of the stream.

It’s also the most expensive. That was one of the first things they mentioned.

7 Likes

The restoration of the creek is going to take a long time because of the chemicals that have been in the water for decades.

Yea, that’s understandable but I wonder if that’s taking place now or if that’s not starting until “at least five years”

I know there’s been some remediation taking place on the site, but I think that was just the land?

I heard previously that they already started doing water quality assessments and stuff but I’m not sure. If they haven’t started it’ll be a decade before we see this park completed.

1 Like

Wow. I am used to most projects going more slowly than I would like, especially public projects, but that is a much longer timeline that I anticipated.

Thanks to everyone who posted pics, and I see the link to watch the video on the project page…are the slides available anywhere?

Super disappointing if true. I did see a comprehensive write up in the TBJ on Peace St today where numerous developers referenced how big of deal that park would be. I wonder if that could expedite things if they start pressing for it?

7 Likes

Five years is just insane. Does the city not understand that the park will drive more investment in the immediate area? It’s truly infrastructure.

3 Likes

Maybe they’re just sandbagging.

…so we’ll be happy when it starts construction in 3 years or so? LOL

1 Like

Exactly! I do it all the time but in weeks not years.

A new article talking about the options and history. I’d love to see a water feature obviously. I’m also happy they posted the picture highlighting some of the “landmarks” because I keep wanting to explore that area.

11 Likes

I wish they plant big trees that provide shade during summer.
I’ve been to Moore square in the summer and in my opinion the design is a fail. The central area (biggest part of the park) is under full sun, usually with not a lot of people, who wants to bake there? :thinking:

4 Likes

When I need to work on my tan, I put on my banana hammock on those exact days and head to Moore Square. :wink:

Actually, this is where Nash Square comes in. Nash brings the shade for the summer while Moore is great in the Fall and Spring. Summer nights are also great in both.

The two squares compliment each other I think.

16 Likes

Isn’t this the entire point of Moore Square: to have an event space?

2 Likes

I can see that but find it sad that it was made at the price of tree removal, especially in urban environment.
I used to live abroad in very dense city where in the summer, the “urban heat island” is not a myth. That’s why I’m pretty sensitive to the matter.

2 Likes

Can anyone give me an idea of this picture?

It appears to show the Pigeon Branch Creek, while also looking like a very “flooded” area beside it? Is that what this picture shows?

7 Likes

Looks right to me. And I just learned where the name for Jones Sausage road comes from!

8 Likes