Smoky Hollow Park

As a some one who works with storm water, you could not have said it better @Nickster. If you can have some type retention in urban areas, it can go a long way in preservation and prevention of flooding.

3 Likes

Needs a beer garden really bad.

2 Likes

If only Raleigh had a beer garden nearby… They could even call it Raleigh Beer Garden…

:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

5 Likes

for sure.
But he probably means a real beer garden

9 Likes

Wishful thinking! More chars.

2 Likes

That’s using your brain, you got it Evan! When I lived in Germany we had these all over Berlin and its was great. The way that park is planned right now you will be in and out of it in 3 farts, a skip and jump. This type of concept will keep it activated for DTR folk to hangout, add a little food and a small music venue for talented music acts to plug into and play and you have something. The plans now look like a retirement home garden.

3 Likes

The small pocket park at Glenwood and St Marys is being converted for use as a stormwater retention structure. This is at the headwaters of Fallon Creek, which occasionally floods and carries pollutants from the impervious surfaces - streets, driveways and rooftops. Will remove cigarette butts from the waters. :+1:t3: Should be a nice feature as you enter Five Points + a missing sidewalk link along St Marys.

4 Likes

I support this thinking ! Seems this would be a given out at Dix eventually as well…

3 Likes

That idea would fit better at Dix Park’s retail portion especially since there’s a beer garden 3 minutes away. Plus this park is an environmental restoration type of project.

6 Likes

This is exactly what the warehouse space Clancy and Theys owns off Cabarrus and West St. needs to become. Plenty of space and warehouses to be converted to brewery/cidery/food.

11 Likes

That would be so nice there as a transition from commercial to residential

1 Like

Great post, Leo. I just took the survey. I like the Sculpt option, but as a few people have noted, literally any of the options under discussion would be a vast improvement over how this space is being used currently.

2 Likes

That’s a comment I put in the survey. At least 1 block more north to the wade ave interchange.
I bet the soil is also pretty polluted in that area…

2 Likes

My gripe about the presentation is that the pretty pictures are all missing the NC-5 HSR alignment overlay.

Now, I can better visualize what’s going to happen. I think that the park planners conveniently left out what has been bookmarked for the area with an aerial railroad flyover missing from the conversation. If the park went in first without the set aside, then there would be a squawk of epic proportions.

8 Likes

I agree. I was confused about that, too, since (as we talked about way back when) that was brought up in other slides of that talk last month.

3 Likes

It was there, but then quickly glossed over…

I busted them on that point with my survey response.

8 Likes

I also think that the ‘pedestrian experience’ to get into the park when walking across Peace Street is going to be a challenge as well. Tell Kane that he needs to build a pedestrian bridge.

4 Likes

If we do a mid block crossing signal (not just a flasher - an actual signal) we should be okay.

1 Like

Maybe so. But, if/when SmoHo 3 and Zimmer get dropped in, then it’s going to be more of a challenge to make the pedestrian traverse.

3 Likes

Not exactly about the Devereux site, but the land right next to it on Peace St. is being auctioned off by NCDOT. Whoever ends up buying this plot of land will be able to build a mixed-use building up to 12 stories tall by right.

5 Likes