Future Residential Project on the Former Edison Office Tower Site

You would move to a city you don’t like because Raleigh doesn’t fill in a few blanks?

2 Likes

Give me a few minutes to write a good response. I am on a call.

Being upset there’s a huge gravel parking lot in the middle of downtown doesn’t mean I’m not excited about other projects. It’s just huge waste of space and an eyesore. It would be nice if Highwoods did something with the lot while they’re sitting waiting for a tenant to sign on to a building that’s at least 3 years away.
I also live near a huge pit in the ground that has been blocking street visibility and sidewalk usage for almost 3 years so I’m a little salty about developers just letting lots to rot.
(At least the highwoods plot isn’t in as bad of shape as the South Street Condos and the CitySpace Brownstones on S Saunders)

3 Likes

Nice to see that Boston’s Fallon Group is proactive here and have more in mind:
https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/news/2019/06/17/boston-firm-targets-more-development-in-triangle.html

"But for now, Vuncannon is focused on the Triangle and looking for other development opportunities here. He said The Fallon Company is already pursuing opportunities.

“What excites us is the ability to add to this already exciting urban fabric, bring whatever additional perspective that we can to that, and just continue to help Raleigh with its growth over the next ten years and beyond,” Vuncannon said."

8 Likes

“We view (the Triangle) as this “best of both worlds” in terms of a stable yet high-growth market,” Vuncannon said.

^adding another important quote from the article.

7 Likes

18 posts were split to a new topic: Investing In DTR (personally)

Just so that we don’t think we are alone in developers playing games and extending deadlines, here’s a snippet from a current article from thenextmiami webpage:

Developer Swire Properties has until December 2020 to break ground or the approval will expire. The developer can also apply for extensions, likely until 2022 at the latest.

A previous approval for the same height was applied for in 2013 and approved in 2015, but expired in 2018.

A second application was filed for in March 2018, following expiration of the first. Review took about 18 months and was granted on June 15.

Full article here:

6 Likes

Which meeting do I have to go to complain about the dust this gravel lot is creating? Can we try to stop the parking agreement renewal from going through?

5 Likes

You know, good point. The city should approve the parking renewal only if the developer installs some sort of improvement on the block in the interim while they fish for an office tenant. Literally anything would be better than a gravel dust bowl.

3 Likes

Really? This is a gravel lot? At nearly ground zero in downtown? That’s pretty rinky dink.

oh yeah. The nicest thing on that lot is the parking meter, which got it’s own concrete pad. Other than that, yeah, gravel and dust.

4 Likes

Behold the majesty of downtown’s gravel lot:

It’s really awful.

4 Likes

“Welcome to Raleigh Y’all!!” Come visit our collection of gravel parking lots in downtown.
:stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

That’s the worst one I think, but this one off McDowell is a close second just because of how big it is.

Seems like the city could force some kind of improvement to the Edison lot in order to renew the parking agreement. McLaurin just prints money around here.

7 Likes

I sort of remember when PNC Plaza (originally RBC Plaza) was a parking lot. We traded one for another after the old buildings along Wilmington were torn down. Photo from 2006.

7 Likes

Looking at the picture …Ugh I hate hate when they put the bike lane on the inside of parallel spots… it’s just idiotic

2 Likes

4 posts were merged into an existing topic: Bike Lanes in and around DTR

Highwoods Properties CEO is stepping down in September. I wonder how this will affect this property. For reference, 301H plans were derailed when the original developer’s CEO passed away.

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: IBM acquiring Red Hat

A post was merged into an existing topic: IBM acquiring Red Hat