Business Expansion in the Triangle

This might be related:

https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/news/2018/11/16/amid-amazon-loss-raleigh-goes-after-2-mystery.html

1 Like

Ok so Raleigh didn’t make the cut…Raleigh is not DC…NYC…NoVA or Charlotte. But so many times I hear and see on the news about how Raleigh is ranked at no.1 as the best place for high tech…new businesses and place for families. and that is great, good for Raleigh. I say steady growth is better than no growth at all…and I believe that the rest of the country is in for a shock when they see Raleigh really grows.

3 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Development at Saunders/Lake Wheeler

Uh…Charlotte didn’t even make the shortlist.

4 Likes

8 posts were split to a new topic: Edison Office Tower

36 posts were split to a new topic: Pendo’s expansion in DTR

An agenda item for Raleigh City Council’s Nov. 20 meeting recommends holding a public hearing on incentives for the projects at “the first City Council meeting in January 2019.”
[…]
Raleigh won’t make the firms public until two weeks before the hearing. “Because we are required to have the public hearing by state law, we have to lay out the essentials for public review prior to the public hearing,” [city spokesperson John Boyette] wrote.
[…]
Local participation in both recruitment and incentives is required [to deploy investment grants], according to state statute.

I am wondering. Why do certain projects have the public hearing before incentives are offered and then others not? Advance Auto Parts, Pendo or Amazon did not have any hearing or did they?

Maybe this is the case when companies request beyond a certain amount of incentives? Or maybe it is at the Council’s discretion?

Wow now announcement of 400 jobs in Charlotte again - Lending Tree:

https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/news/2018/12/06/lendingtree-to-create-436-jobs-in-expansion.html

give us more in dt Raleigh please

4 Likes

Seems like the floodgates opened after the Amazon decision. About time!

1 Like

Amazon announcement may have had something to do with it, but I think the increased incentives (whether you think they are good or bad) played a major role.

1 Like

Charlotte was not in consideration for Amazon so not sure how it would have affected anyones decision that was planning to move there.

… unless these companies were originally planning to go to NoVa or something…

Companies may be worried about escalating business costs in places like NOVA.

2 Likes

So regarding the city council recommendation to hold public hearing for two projects in Jan 2019. Am I right to assume this is for two additional projects (other than pendo and advanced auto)?

1 Like

Yeah I know. HQ2 in Raleigh still indirectly impacts Charlotte and there just seems to be a rush of activity in NC after the announcement.

It’s also the end of the year so some of these decisions/announcements could be getting done now for tax implications or something like that.

2 Likes

Maybe the pile of money that the state was going to use for Amazon is now freed up for use to entice others across the state?

4 Likes

It seems the public hearing in January for the Business Investment Grant Program is in fact for AAP and Pendo

https://www.raleighnc.gov/government/news/content/CorNews/Articles/0PublicHearings.html

Jan. 8, 2019, 7 p.m.

• FY 2019-2020 Pre-Budget Hearing
  • Petition Annexation
  • 9405, 9409 Carlswood Court
  • Paving AR 951 - Churchill Road
  • Economic Development Grant - Business Investment Grant Program - Advanced Auto Parts
  • Economic Development Grant - Business Investment Grant Program - Pendo
  • Z-18-18 - 2908 Garner Road
  • Z-23-18 - 3315 Poole Road
  • Z-26-18 - Trawick Road
  • Z-27-18 - 3916 & 3920 Blue Ridge Road
  • Z-31-18 - Ridge Road and Marilyn Drive

Jan. 22, 2019, 2 p.m.

• Z-10-18 - 7741, 7745, and 7751 Brier Creek Parkway
  • Z-33-18 - North Ridge West NCOD

June 4, 2019, 7 p.m.

• FY 2019-2020 Budget Hearing
3 Likes

Well that is disappointing. Thanks for the update. I was hoping for new names.

1 Like

Having a hearing after everything is decided seems to defeat the purpose of a public hearing no ?

3 Likes