Business Expansion in the Triangle

And have we seen anything OFFICIAL from these companies that states they didn’t come here because of the legislative climate? “Inside sources say…” doesn’t count.

2 Likes

To be fair, if I were in charge of a company’s PR department, I would never admit to that even with a gun held up against my head…

If you admit that your company’s strategies are openly influenced by politics, you’re making an unprecedented move that will absolutely slam the door on any future deals involving that party. Not just for relocation, but with any sort of day-to-day deals. There’s not a lot to gain by being so open about that.

Remember politicians are human too, and they’re probably going to be butthurt if they’re on the receiving end of something like this.

Besides, proving a negative is wayyyyyy more difficult than showing something does exist. Especially for something like “political climate affects business strategies”, which depends 100% on subjective definitions and evidence the average person won’t have access to.

I don’t disagree with you at all, but it keeps getting posted as fact here.

1 Like

Cancer research firm’s expansion to bring 200 jobs to Wake County. French biotech Cellectis has picked an existing facility in Raleigh over a competing site in Monmouth Junction, New Jersey.

https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/news/2019/03/07/cancer-research-firms-expansion-to-bring-200-jobs.html?iana=hpmvp_trig_news_headline

9 Likes

It’s no Amazon but 200 jobs is better then nothing.

4 Likes

I’ve been trying to find what location they’re going to be in but all the articles just say Raleigh or Wake County. I actually know about what they do and wouldn’t mind trying to work for them. The articles don’t list a timeframe really either.

2 Likes

Seems like a good match for the talent pool. Interesting that NC/Wake/Raleigh offered fewer than half the incentive dollars for this and still beat NJ. Speaks well to Raleigh’s workforce.

5 Likes

found a ref to “specifically at North Raleigh’s Sumner Business Park.” in another report

Cellectis had bold ambitions, with plans to get a site up and running by 2021

https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/news/2019/03/07/how-the-triangles-lifesciences-ecosystem-helped.html?iana=hpmvp_trig_news_headline

4 Likes

Wall Street Journal just ranked the hottest labor markets using the following metrics: Unemployment Rate, Labor Force Participation Rate, Job Growth, Labor Force Growth, and Wage Growth.

In the category of metro areas with over 1 million people, Raleigh placed 6th, only trailing Austin, San Jose, Salt Lake City, Boston and Orlando.

Charlotte placed 17th.

NC has 2 of the top 17 hottest labor markets.

9 Likes

Oracle is looking to locate about 3,000 people in Nashville.

Well not so fast. They’re still considering other cities, namely Raleigh.

Oracle already has about 300 people in Morrisville just outside RTP from their buy out of Tekelec a few years back. So, why not add to it?

This paywall article sites that Raleigh is a strong contender. No details as to a downtown expansion or not. Maybe something will shake out…
https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/technology/article/21050296/oracle-eyes-cities-in-addition-to-nashville

7 Likes

Oracle would be nice. They would likely go to RTP but if they went Downtown it would be great.

4 Likes

The Oracle office in Morrisville is on the same street as my office. I drive by it every day. It looks like a ghost town over there most days. I don’t know if that means anything, but they have been doing renovations on the building for several months now.

5 Likes

Only other city mention in article as being looked at is Raleigh. Looking for about 800,000 square feet. The 3000 number is based on the 800k sqft number.

For all the high-rise people it says Amazon-Nashville will be in two future 20-plus-story towers.

2 Likes

Hopefully Chris Chung and Commerce are aware and go hard after this one. We need a high profile win for the region

2 Likes

We got to be careful - While Austin pulls far away Nashville seems to be en par or just steps ahead of us in terms of new tech boom town cachet. Kudos to Nashville’s recent wins and real estate development prospects

I would say the talent pipeline is far more potent in Raleigh-Durham but at the end of day it matters more where the talent wants to live versus where it went to school

3 Likes

Now, according to multiple additional sources, the Bay Area-based software and IT platform company is believed to be quietly assessing other cities for a place to house large inside sales, marketing and sales support teams. Which cities is unclear, though Raleigh is thought to be a candidate. Oracle officials declined to comment for this story.

6 Likes

So Nashville’s Tech talent pool isn’t very high. With Amazon moving in, Oracle might be wanting to look at Raleigh which has a bigger pool.

8 Likes

Issuer Direct just announced that they are moving their headquarters downtown. Publicly traded company in Morrisville currently. Will be using the cash out option for their employees parking. Like that move a lot, won’t just be Pendo leading on that front.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bizjournals.com/triangle/news/2019/03/15/publiccompany-moves-hq-to-downtown-raleigh.amp.html

1 Like

So does anybody know anything about Issuer Direct or can you read the TBJ article about them moving downtown? new building? how many employees?

1 Like

Issuer Direct is moving from Morrisville into a 10,000 sq ft space in One Glenwood. They presently have 90 employees and are expecting to reach triple digits by year end.

4 Likes