Business Expansion in the Triangle

Hey Cans Fan ! Today’s TBJ has a article about the other project requests for hotel tax money . Can you let me know the amount requested by Wake County Friends / Raleigh Stadium Project ? One prior article stated that they were going to ask for $ 249,000 plus a possible $ 7,500 for misc. costs . Also does it give a project description ? Thanks for any help on this !

2 Likes

Cool, they’re moving into One Glenwood. Shows the advantage of building on spec as you can capture tenants that simply wouldn’t have moved if no space was available (i.e. these tenants wouldn’t build on their own). I think they’re moving forward on the 2nd 10 story building pronto, as One Glenwood and The Dillon are maxing out quickly.

4 Likes

The Dillon is full. One Glenwood, if not already, is going to be full way before Two Hillsborough can be delivered. You’d think that the developers behind 400H would take a hint. Two Hillsborough and the 9 story office building at Smokey Hollow will likely be full quickly. More and more businesses are choosing to be in urban areas over RTP lately, and the city that provides the supply is going to reap those rewards. With the Peace&West project, along with Weaver St. Market providing the long awaited grocers on the west side of downtown, the potential for this area is limitless IMO.

5 Likes

Maybe Kane’s 40 story rezoning will include office space. If not, the tower won’t be that big. An all condo 40 story budget-built tower should be around 420 feet or so.

2 Likes

Not Downtown but more in theme of Raleigh is a good place to run tech businesses.

Marvell Technology (Nasdaq; MRVL) is building a research and development team in the Triangle.
Could be at up to 150 employees at the new Triangle research center
develops semiconductor solutions
We found that the Raleigh area, in fact, has a lot of good talent

https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/news/2019/03/20/jobs-tech-firm-taps-morrisville-for-r-d-expansion.html?iana=hpmvp_trig_news_headline

2 Likes

Yea, a 40 story tower would really take a lot of residential and office workers to fill up, such as this new Charlotte tower for Duke Energy (will be 3rd tallest in the state).
NewDukeTower-3rdTallestCharlotte
This article says that as a pure office tower, it would house 4,000 employees. That would sure take a lot of relocations to get to that number, assuming an all office structure. Perhaps at one quarter office, just 1,000 workers. Maybe if Oracle decides to move in to Raleigh…

3 Likes

They should name it the CP&L Tower.

3 Likes

Man that is an ugly building! While I appreciate street level considerations, that looks like a design school sticker stuck on to the bottom of this very bla tower.

1 Like

Actually, it will be the 4th-tallest building in the state, at 646’.

Duke currently occupies a lot of space in the taller tower across the street (at the edge of the rendering you posted) but will be moving their employees out of that building (which they don’t own — it was originally built for Wachovia), a smaller building not pictured, and a few other sites. It’s all about consolidation.

Height is great and all, and Charlotte no doubt whoops our butts in that regard, but I can’t help but wonder if Uptown Charlotte would be a little more pedestrian-friendly and a little more connected to the rest of its city if some of the density of those '600 towers were spaced out in multiple buildings across Uptown.

4 Likes

let’s be real clear. ‘Dook’ doesn’t own anything. Ratepayers are paying for the insecure egomaniacs if ‘charlotte usa’ once again. Think your going to be getting a rate reduction in the near future?

the quasi public utility model is contra-logical to modern capitalism. why should there be ‘shareholders’ at all when you nor I have any choice in who we get to pick for our power? WTF?!!

1 Like

Hmmm that has nothing to do with my comment on Uptown Charlotte’s urban form but OK

5 Likes

The fairness or efficacy of the utility model?? Huh? Raleigh is growing at a nice clip with or without Apple or Amazon. And Raleigh is growing whether Republicans are in power or not.

4 Likes

Raleigh is doing Just fine without Apple/Amazon… Isn’t Goggle fiber here in Raleigh ? there will be More companies coming to the Triangle and making Raleigh Home.As DTR grows so will new tech…software…research companies coming to Raleigh.

1 Like

I do agree about DTR doing fine without Apple/Amazon. However, I still don’t understand the Google Fiber thing…? It’s not a company that is going to have tons of employees? Just a company that is kind of a replacement for Spectrum Cable?
Also, they bought an awesome Italian restaurant…sad…:cry:

3 Likes

Just that they was making such a noise about Goggle fiber coming to Raleigh, an once there here…( ??? ). Nothing. :confused:

3 Likes

To be fair that restaurant wasn’t that great. Seemed more like a place that would’ve been cool in the 90s till Olive Garden put them out of business.

:smiley:

Also, Google Fiber is here. And it’s very nice. I have fast, reasonably priced internet and cable. And it’s simple and I don’t have to deal with Time Warner or AT&T (which is actually worse).

5 Likes

I went to 518 West once.
It was Italian food. That’s about all I remember.

1 Like

@GucciLittlePig and @Tenkai
Let me rephrase, an Italian restaurant vs. a Google store?
While I agree that Google Fiber offers better service, etc. than Spectrum/TWC, let me ask…
Did you actually go to this “location”? Is it worth the loss of a business that had foot traffic?
And while some people enjoyed the Italian restaurant, I personally have never seen anyone actually go into/out of the building since Goolgle arrived?

3 Likes

I have google fiber too and give it a 10.