The Fairweather and other condos on S. Harrington

Not on account of the Fairweather. They are legitimate/open businesses.

One good thing about the substation … if there is one … is that the view of downtown from the Fairview won’t be blocked.

Looks like the appearance commission will be discussing this project.

https://raleigh.sharefile.com/share/view/s24b313ee6c442399

1 Like

1 Like

You make it sound as though th AC has any authority or adds value :face_with_hand_over_mouth::rofl::face_with_hand_over_mouth:

1 Like

The developer has started their building permits paperwork with the city .

1 Like

Got some nice pictures of both the interiors and exteriors, and its place with the other buildings downtown

3 Likes

Looks like they won’t be there for long

Development at W Cabarrus and S Harrington

1 Like

The views from The Fairweather are to the east, not the north. They overlook that substation that will act like a long term view preserver.

1 Like

You’re correct. I was referring to the buildings to the north of the Fairweather that Raleighwood was asking about. Those parcels are under contract and rezoning is being requested.

2 Likes

Fairweather breaks ground 1/30.

8 Likes

On behalf of the development team, we’d like to invite you to our groundbreaking ceremony on Wednesday, Jan, 30th, 2019 at 3pm! The Fairweather is the first condominium development to break ground in downtown Raleigh in a decade and we want to celebrate this occasion with you! We are 60% pre-sold and estimating a Summer 2020 opening.

6 Likes

Haven’t like a half dozen condo developments been started downtown in just the last year?

1 Like

Everything recent has been townhouses and apartments, this might be the first condo building since the Hue (which had to convert to apartments) or Bloomsbury Estates (which had to be liquidated) so it’s understandable why it’s been so long.

2 Likes

$400k for a condo in DTR or Downtown San Diego. That is insane. Either the San Diego market is undervalued or Raleigh’s is overvalued.

3 Likes

The Fairweather is extremely expensive in my opinion, especially given its relatively transitioning location/surrounds. I was curious what you get for 400K in San Diego, so I poked around on Zillow. It seems that you can get about 700SF of uninterestingly finished condo in a nice location. Nonetheless, it’s a much larger city with more to do downtown. Despite its price, I suspect that The Fairweather finishes will exceed those of a similar price in San Diego, but I’d totally expect that to be the case.
https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sale/San-Diego-CA/70598244_zpid/54296_rid/globalrelevanceex_sort/32.722905,-117.141187,32.702324,-117.169254_rect/14_zm/
https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sale/San-Diego-CA/55328428_zpid/54296_rid/globalrelevanceex_sort/32.714881,-117.15197,32.70459,-117.166003_rect/15_zm/

1 Like

Looking closer to home, it’s priced right in line with other new condos of a similar level of design. Durham has these popping up all over the place on the periphery outside downtown proper. Compare a 2 bedroom at Leyland Post for 589k to one at the Fairweather for 535k. The Bartlett’s 2 bdrm units of comparable size range from 550k to 670k, while 1 bdrms range from 370 to 440k. Phil Szostak’s working on a new condo building beginning in the 900s. We are finally starting to see urban residential buildings that are designed by quality local architects, and there’s a premium associated with that. I don’t think the Fairweather is outrageously priced. It’s certainly more than I’d want to pay though!

6 Likes

While it seems like the Fairweather is on the edge of downtown it’s actually in a really prime location (save for overlooking the substation.) It’s a quarter mile closer to downtown than I am and I’m able to walk to everything in downtown (and or on Hillsborough) in around 30 minutes at most. They’ll be a 5-10 minute walk from the warehouse district, Red Hat amphitheater, Fayetteville St, parts of Glenwood and Dix Park. And with all the development going on in SW DT there’s only going to be more to do.
Hopefully the Fairweather and its sister development on the same block will spur the creation of the West St. underpass and connect the Warehouse District to the Cabarraus/South St district.

4 Likes

I’m selfishly a HUGE proponent of the West underpass and anxious to hear some progress there. I think Kane will be the one to get that project back in motion.

5 Likes