FNB Tower (Charter Square)

Another photo taken from dyyymond_ on Instagram

Haven’t seen this angle of the construction yet

19 Likes

Great Shot ! Really Love This ! Thanks !

3 Likes

Construction has started on what would be the 22nd floor (or the ceiling of the 21st floor)

13 Likes

Those top floor apartments, looking out to the north, will have a great view of the rest of downtown. Also, the south facing will be pretty great as well. (When the south developments really start to ramp up)!

4 Likes

Very nice, thank you! :grinning:
I think after the glass has been fully added it will be a very nice addition indeed. And at least the middle helps break up the boxy look…:grin:

3 Likes

I can’t wait until the block off Cabarrus near Lincoln theatre gets redone. It now looks even more ridiculous with FNB tower lol. Like crappy surface parking lot with towers next to it: McLaurin Parking
124 E Cabarrus St, Raleigh, NC 27601
(919) 833-7522
https://goo.gl/maps/GQKaxDapZqR2

Seems so silly doesn’t it? How is that not planned development at this point?

1 Like

I hope that area starts to get developed soon as it will look even worse then it does with more buildings going up and then having nothing.

1 Like

Especially the one on the NW corner! That will likely command the highest price per square foot. The NW corner on the Plaza Condos is pretty spectacular as well.

2 Likes

Was thinking the same thing, I think that it will be a matter of time for some Developer to put a high rise Tower there, IF they move the Pope House towards the Capital district, then I hope that they build a 40 + tower there. But then…( 20 ) seems to be the lucky number around here.

2 Likes

Will the residential units be condos or rental apartments?

Rental (added words for nothing)

I hadn’t thought about moving it towards the capital district…had always assumed the easiest thing was just turn it around to face Blount Street. But maybe say, sticking it behind the horse barn/gas station in City Market would be a nice way to increase tourism for both the Pope House and the surrounding stuff like Explores and City Market. The rest of the parking lot facing Founders Row could still be used for like a 6-10 story residential building for some residential density and not be too different from the surrounding area.

2 Likes

This is probably the wrong time to tell you just how short the UDO is for these lots. I think that I’ll just provide the link.
https://maps.raleighnc.gov/remapping/

2 Likes

Why??? Seriously why are lots adjacent to DX40 zoned for 7 and 12 stories???

Even more insulting is that the stick built Edison building is sitting on a half a block that’s zoned DX-40.

4 Likes

from lake wheeler at 40

2 Likes

If Kane gets his DX-40 rezoning (from DX-12) for this project with little controversy, that should probably encourage more developers to pursue similar rezonings themselves.

Lots of people on here are really upset that so little of downtown is zoned for 40 stories, but remember that before the UDO, everything that was over a certain square footage or density threshold (which were set pretty low, though I forget the specifics) had to go before council for conditional zoning. If I recall correctly, even the 5 story Dawson condo building and 7 story Hue Apartments needed council approval at the time.

5 Likes

Yes, originally everything was a rezone. In theory, the UDO may have intended to loosen the rules to encourage more height. In practice, what seems to have happened is that when every project needed to request rezoning, they went ahead and asked for more height. But with a 20 floor limit, developers are incentivized to make their projects fit that if they were only going to be 21-26 floors or so, rather than spend all that extra time for a few extra floors. It has clearly backfired.

1 Like

If the sole goal of development is to encourage Tall Buildings, and a city is nothing more than its skyline, then I might agree with you. But to me this has lowered the barriers to development and I see more active projects now than before so in that sense it seems to have done what it set out to do.

My personal opinion is that everything east of West Street, west of Blount Street, north of the railroad, and south of Peace Street should be DX-40. (I’ll accept RFD’s 40 story cap for now.) But I still think that this is an improvement over the pre-UDO status quo.

4 Likes

We had as many proposals on the docket in 2008, and they were all taller. Even though downtown was not as far along and more of a gamble.

What you’re seeing is merely a recovery from the recession. We’re back to where we were, but with the UDO seemingly lowering the average height of proposals.

“But all that stuff didn’t get built in 2008”.

Yeah, and there are no cranes for 301, 400H, the Municipal Center, or the Nexus, right now either. It’s just as speculative.