Future Residential Project on the Former Edison Office Tower Site

Any ideas if this is from before or after the rendering below?

The extra articulation is nice, just wondering if it got VE’d.

3 Likes

That’s an old rendering.

So are we expecting them to actually move forward with construction anytime soon?

An anchor tenant needs to be announced. Pendo? Advanced Auto Parts? Lots of others wanting to have naming rights on a cool tower in a cool town? We’re all still awaiting an announcement.

4 Likes

Makes sense! Reading this thread I will be dorky disapointed if they only build 20 stories this site is so good for a 25-30 story.

2 Likes

Anything that’s shorter than FNB is going to be nearly invisible on the skyline, especially from the money shot. Frankly, anything short of a 400 footer isn’t going to do much in that location. If either Pendo or Advance Auto wants a presence on the skyline, they’ll have to look elsewhere downtown or push to go higher for attention.

8 Likes

No doubt. Edison Tower is a great ‘spot filler’ but it’s so close to the core to not make much impact. So I haven’t been as excited about this one, compared to the activity over by Dillon and Two Glenwood. Each tower over there is very impactful.

3 Likes

The Edison will submit their plans soon !

13 Likes

Great news, but I will believe it when I see it lol.

7 Likes

If I’m correct, the developers have only about two weeks before their current parking contract expires with the City. It will be interesting to see what happens with this project . . .

2 Likes

Parking contract extension lol

4 Likes

This is one I reeeeeeeeeeeeally wish they would’ve at least tried to get a higher zoning for. I’m all for 20 story buildings around the main CBD core, but a 20 story limit is a completely stupid waste on this particular lot, right across the street from literally the tallest building in the entire city.

8 Likes

Are we sure it’s limited to 250 feet? The original plan was 20 office floors and 6 parking floors. If only 250 foot/20 story limit they won’t even get 17 floors office space let alone room for parking.

2 Likes

I’m not sure about the final height but these quotes are from 2016 articles:
" The Edison Office site, as the property was previously known, was at one time slated for a $75 million, 19-storey tower. Highwoods president and CEO Ed Fritsch said in August that its building could be even bigger.

“which would be larger and taller than Beacon’s previous plans. An internal rendering of the new tower shows the building to be more than 21 stories tall.”
https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/blog/real-estate/2016/08/new-office-tower-on-the-horizon-for-downtown.html

3 Likes

I believe this lot is zoned for 40 stories

3 Likes

Correct. Zoned DX-40-SH.

5 Likes

The UDO limit basically states 20 stories, or 250 ft - whichever comes first

Wait - When did this happen?? The last rendering they released was barely taller than Skyhouse!

This one?

I’m sure it will be drastically reduced.

8 Likes

That one must be near 400 feet tall I would love for that to be built