Future Residential Project on the Former Edison Office Tower Site

And honestly, as much as I hate to see it sit as am empty lot for another decade, I would MUCH rather wait for a 600+ foot skyscraper on that corner than a rushed 20 story box that would last for decades and decades to come.

2 Likes

No thanks. Iā€™d much rather them build now. Downtown has enough empty lots to just sit on all of them. Something will be available in 10-20 years when a company wants a 600+ tower.

10 Likes

But will that something be literally next door to our current tallest, and right in the heart of the CBD? If weā€™re not getting a monster on the N&O lot, nor on the Enterprise lot - this would be the next best lot for something game-changing.

Actually that strip of historic stuff right there on Fayetteville St. The one that got rezoned recently. You know, the one kitty corner from PNC plaza? Yeah, that would be a sweet spot as well for something mega tall.

:runs and hides now:

1 Like

Lol. Yeah Take cover. That comment is like C4

How long can Raleigh afford to continue without games being changed?

1 Like

Yep, the city had the chance to wager parking renewal for temporary improvement. Had

To be fairā€¦ about 20 years ago 2/3 of that entire block was surface parking lots. Now we are down to about 1/6 surface parking on that block. Progress takes time.

4 Likes

Is there a way to see the property taxes on this? At some point wouldnā€™t it be stupid not to build it out?

1 Like

Google Imaps itā€™s available for anybody to see.

Iā€™m thinking the single use parking decks are solid candidates for replacement with something like this.

I will get boos for this but I think they should scrap the Edison and start over with a similar project. At this point it is probably more worthwhile to come up with an entirely new project so it might get done faster. Same with 400H - they should propose a similar project but a totally new individual project.

10 Likes

Booed??? Dude What you will get is kudos Lol, I was thinking the same thing also, sell it to Kane, KDC or Hines those are the Big Boys and let them build a 40 story 600 ft icon lol, I guess I can dream !

8 Likes

I donā€™t see any reason why this canā€™t be another Skyhouse. They did it in Charlotte and Houston I believe, where there are 2 towers sharing a garage. Do it.

Iā€™m re-reading this and obviously there can be reasons (ownership being the biggest). Still, I think thereā€™s a market for another Skyhouse there. I just need to talk to Highwoods.

8 Likes

Iā€™m kinda concerned how the sky house will age. Looks brutalism. Which looks like craaaap after a decade or some would say looks like craaaap immediately upon construction.

3 Likes

The 600 foot office towers belong over by Union Station so people can ride the train to work.

8 Likes

Seems like theyā€™d be open to partnering with a developer, then managing it with an equity stake. Isnā€™t that their meat & potatoes?
I agree, the whole project needs to be rethought. Clearly there is a demand for residential, and it only 6 blocks or so to the station? Another Skyhouse? Maybe 1 is enough. Its a good lot, shadow-wise, for something big.

The bus station is right across from this site and a lot of people already come through there to work downtown. So will BRT. Plus the car traffic generated from the inevitable parking pedastals put in these office towers is better handled by the thoroughfares around the Edison than by Union Station. But I think both places are great for them though, split some of the traffic concentrated in one place. Mixed use (like FNB) would be ideal.

6 Likes

Yeah, this is good point. GoRaleigh station is a major transit hub, and probably will continue to be so for the foreseeable future. And even in a world where commuter rail to Durham, Garner, Wake Forest, and Apex is a thing, BRT and Express buses will still be needed and will continue to operate.

We do need to be sure that we get the connection between Union Station and Fayetteville Street right. This probably involves a highly multimodal approach of:

1. Circulator and BRT buses
  2. A secondary commuter rail stop near Kindley Street?
  3. Bike/scooter share with cycletracks
  4. Better pedestrian experiences (especially when crossing McDowell and Dawson)
  5. A good plan to handle ride hailing, especially at Union Station

But youā€™re right, after thinking about it, I agree with you completely and I have absolutely nothing wrong with very big development happening on or near Fayetteville Street.

4 Likes

please, no. Thatā€™s an insult to brutalism lol

1 Like