General Feedback and Site Announcements

groovy. making this 20 characters.

2 Likes

Minor problem here — I’m getting both the dark and light forum images:
Screenshot_2018-12-03%20DTRaleigh%20Community

It changes slightly when I open a topic:
Screenshot_2018-12-03%20DTRaleigh%20Community2

Yet I don’t see it when I switch to the light theme . . .

Jack, thanks. Working it…

Should be fixed now. I actually found a bug in this and fixed it in the process, can be seen in the mobile view where the topic header wasn’t showing so we’re in better shape than before! :grin:

1 Like

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Height Restrictions : How tall is “TALL”

3 posts were split to a new topic: Tesla Dealership

I have added a new plugin that allows users to react to posts with any emoji. Continue to like posts with the heart but if you feel a different way, you can now express yourself!

10 Likes

Since this a feedback place, let me say I don’t like the new emoji reactions. I have no problem with the idea, but the aesthetics. They look, out of place and don’t fit with the overall aesthetics of the site. If they didn’t have that dark gray background. Obviously not a major dea lbreaking complaint, but since I found something to complain about. :innocent:

2 Likes

I actually thought the same thing. The reactions aren’t as clean looking as I’d like. Still, I rather enjoy them. Let’s see how people use them over time.

4 Likes

I know what he means but I actually really like them

1 Like

There’s a nice unicorn one that’s good for the mythical 40 story projects brewing in the Raleigh pipeline.

4 Likes

Here’s some general feedback. It would be nice to not have to use 20 characters in a reply.

4 Likes

Yup
(Additional characters)

Agree, @John and @JosABanks. @dtraleigh

(I managed 20 on that one by tagging :smile:)

2 Likes

It was set to 20 characters by default so I of course haven’t given it much thought until today. I’ll keep it for now.

My argument for this limit is to empower the like and this newest reaction feature. No offense to anyone but there’s no reason to post something that short in most cases. It’s not discussion, just validation. Look a few posts up. In my opinion, @OakCityDylan and @JosABanks posts are unnecessary and if this behavior isn’t curtailed by at least a simple barrier, then the forum becomes a little annoying with all these insignificant short posts. (or at least I think it will)

Again, no offense but I don’t see a strong reason to change it right now. Just like or react to posts and move on.

10 Likes

I don’t disagree. I always try to see more than just my gut instinct side to any situation and as the moderator and owner of this platform I support your decision 99%, Leo.

But sometimes an emoji just doesn’t do it and sometimes brevity is appropriate. That’s the 1% missing in my 100% support.

4 Likes

I agree, and if anything, I feel like the character limit needs to be longer.

If you want to validate something other people said, just click the “like” button. If you disagree, concur (as in you agree but for a different reason than the original writer) etc., then I think it’s on you to explain yourself.

A lot of the posts that barely get past the 20-char. limit (or the ones where people add random text to pass that barrier) don’t contribute to a lot of discussions here, anyways. When you just say “I agree!”, “this sucks and it’s stupid!”, “good idea!”, “nice picture/thank you for sharing!”, or you’re just repeating catchy slogans, are you really contributing anything? Or are you just building a really microscopic version of an echo chamber of self-validation?

And if you care about actually making your views clear in a meaningful way to other people, you’d need MUCH more than 20 characters.

True. But you can always clarify your thoughts or add to what’s already being said. Otherwise, what is your purpose of adding to the conversation?

1 Like

Sometimes there’s a legit reason to post something under the 20 character floor, like when someone asks a specific question who’s the developer on this, did X project get started etc etc etc and it’s kind of annoying to have to add extra characters in order to get to the limit. And it’s not like that he limit actually stops people from posting things like this because people just add extra characters.
Something that may be more beneficial than a min is a max post size. Or people can just scroll by the really short posts or the really long posts that address 4 other posts in a single 1000 word shot idk.

2 Likes

I

Really

L
O
N
G

P
O
S
T
S