Holiday Inn and New Kimpton Hotel

Since it’s being rumored…I just can’t understand the demo of a perfectly good hotel with it’s own parking deck. I’m sure it’s decently booked up given the location and views. So many surface lots to go vertical on before tearing down a 21 story hotel…

12 Likes

Agreed. It’s not like Raleigh’s long on high-rises with character. And while a lot of cities put up a bunch of large buildings in that era, for Raleigh it’s a pretty unique snapshot in time.

2 Likes

I have seen the interworkings of that hotel. It is extremely worn behind the light tile and carpet renovation. Elevators, windows, kitchen, electrical all needs replacing. Plumbing backs up constantly. It will have to come down.

3 Likes

I will lament the loss of a distinctive building, and also the sheer square footage and number of hotel rooms just as much as the next guy, but I guess what I’m saying is, how do you know it’s “perfectly good?”

It’s an old building and could have major issues with mechanical systems, structure, envelope, etc. It’s certainly in better condition than that hulk that was closed for 20 years and recently got torn down up on Capital, but it could also nonetheless have major problems. We don’t really know.

Of course anything can be renovated and fixed. But is it worth it? Even with an infinite renovation budget, it’d still probably be hard to get the rooms to meet modern expectations with their somewhat odd pie-shaped floor plans and very low ceilings (if I recall correctly from when I was in one of the rooms last, back in 2005) . So you’re stuck spending possibly millions to restore what will always be a cut-rate hotel. Not the greatest business proposition.

3 Likes

The 2002-2003 renovation was pretty comprehensive. The plumbing and electrical were extensively reworked, HVAC done, elevators replaced, even the exterior cladding and windows were replaced. Not a “light tile and carpet renoavtion”. But then again, that was nearly 20 years ago.

Could it be eligible for tax credits?

20 years does fly by. Maintenance has obviously been lacking.

1 Like

Good point, it could have detrimental problems. It likely is very renovatable and would be a killer retro hotel a la Longleaf

3 Likes

The budget for the 2002-2003 overhaul was $6m and it addressed many of the same issues you mention. A comparable amount ($9-10m today) to buy another 20 years for this hotel might be worth it, but if there’s deeper issues that weren’t addressed back then that have gotten worse since then, probably not.

@dtraleigh, probably should move this string over to the Downtown Hotels thread.

1 Like

That building deserves it’s own thread!! :grin:

13 Likes

I would only support demolition if something very compelling were going up in its place. If something like 501 Hillsborough were proposed there… nah. Or if Highwoods were planning another one of their nice empty lots for the spot. Pass.

18 Likes

This place is definitely living its best life. Look at all those guests, and that rooftop bar is hopping!
:upside_down_face:

10 Likes

I have a question what happened with reining request at 320 Hillsborough street Raleigh NC??

1 Like

Has anyone else seen or heard about this?

8 Likes

I’ve never heard of the Kimpton brand, but I’m happy if this means they’ll do what it takes to get the necessary interior upgrades and reno while preserving the architecture of the building.

3 Likes

Really? I feel like they’re fairly well known. But honestly I also live in my own weird little world. I think of them as quirky fancy, for what it’s worth. I’m honestly super curious about this whole project and what they do. I don’t like this current building at all but I get the funky character aspect of it. :popcorn:

2 Likes

I’d like to see our hotel Angeleno get some much needed TLC

Fun fact: both of these were constructed 1969-1970 by architect Lundgren & Maurer.

5 Likes

Welcome back, Cliff!

There was a bit of a rant (not meant to imply a negative rant) over here.

@dtraleigh, perhaps we should move that over to this thread?

My recollection of being in this hotel is that the size and design (interior) doesn’t really lend itself to being fit for a more upscale brand. No amount of renovation is going to make the hallways larger, rooms larger, stairwells more accommodating. I’m no expert here, so perhaps my perception is way off, but I’d expect our hair curler is coming down and the two lots are used for a new development. I did mention to Karla it would be interesting to see them build a sister curler in the lot next door…

6 Likes