Agreed. I don’t believe it’s part of any proposed dev.
You’re right, there isn’t anything currently proposed for that part of Martin St. That was more of an opinion because it seems like the writing is on the wall.
This was a full blown construction site this morning
I have some tasty nuggets coming…
I dropped by the site a few minutes ago and was able to talk to the construction manager and got some good info, and pics (terrestrial and aerial).
- Current supplies (concrete/rebar/etc) onsite are for shoring up the wall they’ve dug out on the north side of the lot
- They’re having challenges with getting permission to erect a single crane that would swing north over the adjacent property. The owner of that (parking) lot isn’t granting permission. If they can’t get permission from that property owner, they’ll have to get a second crane (don’t cheer 2 cranes!).
- Over the next 3 months:
- Utility work to connect water/sewer will happen on both Davie and McDowell for redundant systems
- Crane(s) will be erected, timeline depends on aforementioned permissions from north lot owner
- Approx the first year will be going vertical with second being finishings, approx 2 year project total
Did you ask about a rooftop Chick-fil-A?
Good reporting OCD. I hope you flashed your DTRB press credentials!!
Yay so 3 (or 4) cranes up in DTR soon. Hotel, Seaboard, and 400H.
And Cabarrus (maybe 2 here?)
When though. There’s not even any pre-construction surveying of this property. Probably some unannounced delays.
This one too?
Maybe the Madison as well?
Are you saying the projection of beginning construction in November, the utility work from the last few months and the demolition may be to just wait? Maybe we’re getting our projects mixed up? I’m pretty sure the Cabarrus project is full tilt. Not sure if construction permits have been issued, but shouldn’t be far off at all.
Oh sorry mixed up with Salisbury Square.
Oh, I wish that was getting some traction!
Were all of these demolitions waiting until fall started?
I’ll see myself out.
The Berkeley Cafe’s building is owned by the Raymond Group, the same people building the hotel at Dawson & W Martin (the adjacent vacant lot). They’re currently seeking a rezoning of their property to accommodate 40 stories (DX 40-SH-CU) as they figure out whether they want to continue with the current Hotel plan or flip the property to another builder. That rezoning process is just getting going and they held the initial public hearing in early August. The Berkeley Cafe’s building is included in this rezoning, so you can determine for yourself what that likely means for the old building.