Nash Square Apartments at Dawson/Martin

Here are a few pictures of Raleigh’s previous Union Station.

!

8 Likes

For clarity’s sake, the building is still there, just without its tower, eaves, tracks and platforms (one platform roof was at Amtrak though…they are storing it for now)

3 Likes

You are very welcome Leo ! Thank You for this Great Site !

3 Likes

Leo , Our good friend has been very good to us , hasn’t he ?

He’s The Man !

2 Likes

I have reviewed the plans as submitted to the city, and I am mostly OK with the overall plan for this hotel.

However, as always, I do have one complaint. Which is: they are proposing to take all the curb space along their entire frontage on Martin Street as a hotel drop-off zone. This is in addition to the large off-street drop off zone they are also proposing on their internal driveway.

I am hesitant about granting public space like this to developers in the first place, and in this particular case I’m strongly opposed to it. Here’s why:

First: I have a suspicion that Martin Street will be very important for BRT, as this is the best route for linking GoRaleigh station and Union Station. If we really want BRT to work, we’ll need dedicated lanes, and sorry, that’s not going to happen with a hotel drop off zone.

Second: It was obvious before but with Bird and Lime it’s even more obvious: we need more, better, separated bike facilities. The BikeRaleigh plan names Martin Street as one of just two such planned east-west facilities downtown, and indeed the only one in the 10 year priority plan. It’s a very important piece of our city’s future bike network. similar in scope and need to the West Street cycletrack that seems to be getting more attention from the media and public.

So if we’re actually serious about accommodating transportation other than cars, the city should, plainly, deny the request for an on-street drop off zone. If the hotel doesn’t think they can function with only the off-street drop off zone as proposed, they should be sent back to the drawing board to redesign it.

10 Likes

Nash Square Hotel will start soon , before 301 Hillsborough St.

4 Likes

Nipper you are the Oracle of DTR Dev insight

6 Likes

I can’t remember but did we ever get info on what the 9 story hotel at Nash Square was going to be?

Thanks Evan ! It’s not me but a real good friend of mine that has great contacts & a great job !

1 Like

This will definitely improve the rundown and lifeless look that Nash Square currently has. I still can’t picture those two 20 story towers that the City will build will look like. Someone should get a good 360 drone shot of the area and then in 20 years-ish compare it.

4 Likes

The sale of the property has closed.

https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/news/2018/12/18/hotel-developer-buys-land-overlooking-nash-square.html

6 Likes

12 Likes

Thanks for the renderings. It looks like they’re demolishing the existing buildings? I don’t exactly hate this but I’m not ecstatic either. It is a great location for a hotel and the fake facades do homage to the warehouse district.

7 Likes

Yeah, it’s like #ordinary

3 Likes

$100 dollars says that that corner retail space will be left un-rented for years. See the L apartments. Sterile designs don’t attract hip business as well.

2 Likes

Since it’s a hotel I bet it rents. I’d guess on it being a coffee shop.

1 Like

Do we know the brand yet?

True, but parkside views do? Right?

3 Likes

I like it! 9 floors is some good height transition here.

2 Likes

Thanks Greg for sharing these design photo’s !

2 Likes