New Freedom Park

Looks like construction is finally set to begin on Freedom Park on the corner of Wilmington St. and Lane St. near the Governors Mansion in December. It will be the first park dedicated to black North Carolinians at the state government complex. The park was designed by the late architect Phil Freelon, who led the design team of the Smithsonian Institution’s National Museum of African American History and Culture.
https://www.newsobserver.com/news/politics-government/article236791198.html

Here is what it looks like today:

22 Likes

LOVE the new park design - much better than what is currently there… BUT: I hope they keep or at least move that super weird brutalist concrete cloverleaf gazebo thing.

1 Like

Nice project. I heard about this a few years ago, but then nothing happened with it. Glad it is moving forward.

This seems like a great use of an underutilized bit of property and I hope it will be educational and inspirational, especially for kids on field trips.

4 Likes

I like the angled walls throughout. Helps keep it looking open and helps define the area.

3 Likes

Very excited about this. The designers are great friends of mine, and I’ve been waiting for this to get funded for aaages.

The first rendering posted by the N&O (and the one in this post) is a few years old and not what is getting built. To see the current design, you can take a virtual tour here.

If you’re interested in seeing more about the design concept and spacial drivers, you can look at the AIA award submission (although these are also of the old design). This won a Merit award in 2017 for the unbuilt category. I’ll post a couple of the images below.

13 Likes

I like the underneath glowing lights in the virtual walk through, will help it be more welcoming after dusk/before dawn (especially with some of the slopes that create pathways with no clean sight lines in or out). I hope they keep those in final construction.

9 Likes

That’s certainly more evocative than the nondescript space debris (or piece of SkyLab, depending on how geezerish I’m feeling) in front of the State Archives building…

3 Likes

Found a video with the lead designers talking about the project and some views of the park that I haven’t seen posted anywhere.

5 Likes

If you guys didn’t already know this. The lead designer just recently passed.

1 Like