Hillsborough Street Mixed Use projects near NCSU

Does anyone know what this project is?
In Triangle Business Journal, but I do not subscribe.

Four story complex where the old mechanic shop used to be with more than 25 apartments, construction expected to start in Summer of 2019. Same company announced that a parcel of land on the 3400 block of Hillsborough Street will also host a 5 story luxury condo complex.

Since when is the western side of NCSU considered “Downtown”? SMDH

It’s slightly east of the Stanhope apartments. It’s not completely out of downtown.

This is a great example of why we really need an officially updated DTR map…IMHO!

1 Like

I have never thought of NCSU as being downtown. East of St. Mary’s is DTR, West of St. Mary’s is DT adjacent. NCSU is a good mile or more west of St Mary’s therefore, not downtown.

1 Like

The city’s official DT boundary has a western tentacle that extends west of St. Mary’s St. and into the W. Morgan Street corridor. That puts NC State a lot closer to DT proper than many people might think. That said, I tend to think of NC State, along Hillsborough St., as being an urban neighborhood rather than DT proper.
For many in the far flung Triangle burbs, most of ITB is considered to be “downtown”.

4 Likes

Agree, if not official it should be, I have always considered NC State downtown.
Note: the TBJ article reads downtown, I did but add that.
Thx for update on project.

Give it a few years. It’ll look more and more like downtown :grin:

2 Likes

Your right, it will, but they need to stop wasting valuable land and go talker than 5 stories, it’s rediculous.

Are they referring to the Bagwell Apts? These renderings from March…

6 Likes

Someday Raleigh will have many distinct urban neighborhoods with DT being just the most dense of them. Definitely agree, Hillsborough St from the Morgan St roundabout to Gorman is Raleigh’s second best urban district.

3 Likes

Paris is one of the densest cities in the Western World, and most of it is 7 floors and under. I’m not as bothered by 5 floors as much as I’m bothered by suburban development models like drive-thru fast food or giant surface parking lots. We have a lot of opportunity in the city of Raleigh to convert existing suburban development along many corridors on the core’s edges.

11 Likes

Couldn’t agree more with this statement. Heck, single family homes can be very dense if they’re done correctly. Those Dorothea Gardens houses are a perfect example. I think Bayside in Queens is almost 100% single family homes and it’s like 15K/sq mile.

2 Likes

DT Raleigh already has an example of a dense SFH neighborhood. Just look at that neighborhood north of Peace College (can’t remember the name of it).

1 Like

I think it’s called Capitol Park. The neighborhood immediately north of Cedar St. is Pilot Mill Village.

1 Like

Also Dorothea Gardens just south of Boylan Heights is a great example of dense single family development. I especially like the lack of alleyways because construction of alleys is duplication of street infrastructure and ultimately increases cost and takes away the opportunity for rear gardens/small yards.

Condos on Hillsborough St near Gorman St. https://www.raleighnc.gov/content/PlanDev/Documents/DevServ/DevPlans/Reviews/2018/SiteReview/SR-079-18.pdf

4 Likes

Good to see something other than “luxury” student apartments going on Hillsborough.

3 Likes

That’s a lot of surface parking . . . :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

2 Likes