General Retail/Restaurant News

I went in there as well. It seemed to me that they were really light on the non-clothes items compared to other UA’s that I’ve been to in the past. Maybe they’ve changed their business model?

1 Like

Same here. I think they have misjudged who lives and hangs out in downtown most of the time. Similarly, I currently am in Louisville KY in the Bardstown Road area. Bardstown Road has about 10 coffee shops that are mostly locally owned. Thrift stores, lots of artsy stores and weird, but tasty restaurants, bike stores a great small brewery and then…an Urban Outfitters. It feels just as misplaced here as in DTR.

2 Likes

Looks like there was a little more to the closing of Wahlburgers than we originally thought:

5 Likes

I saw that, seems like Wahlburgers got in bed with a bad franchisee. That can happen anywhere, and definitely quells some of my fears about Fayetteville not being able to punch its weight for a dining corridor.

5 Likes

I think a restaurant could be successful on Fayetteville but it would also need to double as a bar after 10 pm on weekends, ala Big Easy.

2 Likes

Word on the street is that Calavera is shifting gears, and is moving into the former Moonlight Pizza spot.

2 Likes

Speaking of Moonlight…any idea what happened there? Also, does anyone have connections to the former employees there. I have a restauranteur/bar owner looking for good staff and those people probably need work now.

1 Like

I thought they were already in the process of moving into the Tasty 8’s former location. What happened with that, then?

2 Likes

Aw man, yeah they were gonna keep the walk-up order window and add churros…I was super excited for that :frowning:

It looks like there is still alot to do in the old Tasty 8s spot. I’d guess they saw an opportunity that would require less work and took it. It also wouldn’t surprise me if they directly purchased some of the used kitchen equipment from Moonlight.

Makes sense. Im not totally sad about this but was hopeful for another restaurant on Fayetteville St that might actually stick around. And was kind of thinking the Moonlight building and the little building to its left would get demolished and replaced with something taller, given its new neighbors.

3 Likes

Wouldn’t be surprised if the new owners are banking on the same thing.

1 Like

It’s truly just a matter of time.

1 Like

Well that’s probably true, I can’t imagine Calavera would move in if it’s gonna be torn down in a year or two.

1 Like

Big plans typically take several years, and it’s not hard to imagine a business making just a 5 year commitment to a space if it means that they’ll get a good deal on it. The uncertainty of its long term availability might have made negotiations in the lease more favorable to the business.

1 Like

That’s an interesting idea, and makes sense

1 Like

@dtraleigh Leo is this worth splitting into it’s own topic now? Construction has started on that block.

2 Likes

I’m thinking too specific for its own thread. Let me rename this one to retail/restaurants and this can be the catch-all.

1 Like

I see a filing for Bowstring bar on Wake Forest road. Near Whitaker Mill. I think it’s where a plant place or something used to be. Is that considered downtown for this thread? Or the Iron District?

I mean when tracking by CAC, there will be stuff popping up outside of downtown but it’s all good.