Former News & Observer Site - Nexus Office Tower

I never knew that, but something doesn’t add up for me. I-40 across the south side of downtown wasn’t completed until the early 80s, well after the N/S freeway was killed. Why would that interchange be oversized long after the freeway was dead?

2 Likes

This was the original Christmas Plan for downtown:

(Funny, I could have sworn that the plan was a perfect square, with the four directionally-named streets intersecting at the corners. . . I guess that was a later expansion?)

3 Likes

It is curious how Christmas left out those corners of the square. Is there a topographical reason to cut off those 4 corners? I know the land drops off a lot to the NW of Caswell Sq, but can’t recall the drop to the NE of Burke Sq/Executive Mansion. Also curious how much further south the town plan extended, particularly compared to its northern reach. Again, I wonder if its topographical. I do know Christmas and the committee sited the town carefully so Union Sq was the high point with the 4 principle streets running closely along the ridge lines as true high roads/ways. I believe this is a fantastic plan, and the structure continues to play off for DTR.
We had a terrible tornado here where I live last March, thankfully no one was killed. The decimation of the trees has made me far more aware of the topography here on my little postage stamp.

2 Likes

That northwest public square will be missed more and more as downtown continues to develop. How nice to have another Nash Square in that location near Glenwood South and the re-do of the Days Inn.

5 Likes

Ineteresting to see how different the imagined the state/Halifax mall area compared to how it turned out. Taking out both Wilmington, Salisbury and Blount would have dramatically changed downtown traffic patterns!!

1 Like

5 posts were merged into an existing topic: The future of Caswell Square

4 posts were split to a new topic: Historic Plans for Downtown Raleigh

The more I think about this location, the more excited I become about it being a catalyst. The entire N/S, km long corridor between Salisbury and McDowell, from the convention center on its south & Lane St. on its north has the potential to change downtown. This stretch is just littered with potential. The block just north of the N&O site has two parallel n/s strips of surface lot parking. What might happen in that space if we can relocate the parking? Imagine those as pedestrian corridors akin to the city market block. There are some huge surface parking lots in this corridor as well, including the half-block one at Lane St. in front of the state dept. of Human Resources, and the western side of the block immediately north of the convention center. Let’s hope that the N&O site redevelopment can activate this corridor to its potential.

9 Likes

SO…when can we see construction to start on the N & O ( Nexus Office Tower ) site ?

Expected start date + 6 months.

1 Like

Of course that is before they go through there required changes which of course means they will have to be re-reviewed by the city of course…just like 301 Hillsborough went through…so, in my opinion, anytime in the next year…:upside_down_face:

1 Like

They should subcontract to Kane Kan!!

4 Likes

Seeing this block from 200-300’ up with Fayetteville in the background really paints a clear picture how massive and important this project is. I hope we see movement soon!

19 Likes

Indeed, you really captured what an important block/building site this is for the both the skyline and the fabric of downtown. Kudos to you @OakCityDylan

4 Likes

I walked by this area this evening and couldn’t help but think about how much this project is going to activate a connection between Fayetteville St and the Union Station district. Right now it’s just a dead zone next to a park barely anyone uses. I get the feeling that there’s going to be a nice walking corridor either thru or around this that carries down the street next to Whiskey Kitchen and on down to Union Station.

5 Likes

I agree. I just wish they would actually get started

5 Likes

A reputable source said this project has been delayed a year as they search for an office tenant. Apparently they were courting Pendo. I’m not sure if it’s just the office tower that’s delayed or the whole project.

Also confirmed that this project will be the first building with two floors of below-grade parking built in downtown in a long time.

7 Likes

Some bad news, some good news…meh

2 Likes

I thought they planned to build on spec? Or was the fall timeline just assuming they got Pendo as a tenant?

Well damm- if they have to delay anyway, I hope they try going for a higher rezoning. I’d be 100% ok with this lot going undeveloped another 2-3 years even, if it meant getting some actual height where it really should go.

9 Likes