Former News & Observer Site - Nexus Office Tower

Look, if it is 4 mixed use towers with a lot of ground floor retail on on all of them, I am thinking 80,000 to 100,000 sqft (20,000 per building), then we should all be happy because that area will be a awesome place. Hopefully they rezone by the time the 4th tower is started and maybe we will get some height.

11 Likes

This is right. They won’t build all buildings at once. If the market is there, they’ll go bigger. And assuming the numbers work, who wouldn’t?

2 Likes

Sorry, but I have to respectfully disagree. :sunglasses:
This site (right on Nash Square) is a very important component of transition to the Ware-House District. (also, no existing NIMBY s to complain of a truly tall/high-rise)
Besides, imagine being in a hotel room towards the top of a multi-use very tall high-rise with the view of Nash Square…IMHO! :grin:

4 Likes

I agree. The immediate value of a boring 20-story building on that property is not worth the immense benefit the City of Raleigh will have if left alone until a suitable project comes along.

This is why we don’t win big projects. We settle for good enough.

5 Likes

Haha, not sure about that. If facing Nash Square, the view from floor 10-15 is better than 30+. :wink:

6 Likes

I see the UDO strikes again! (called it!). This block sits right beside a block zoned for 40 stories and they only put it at 20. That is a 20 story delta separated by one street (insane!). Sure, a developer can go to the city and initiate a zoning change request. However, they just burned thru millions of dollars for the property and now are trying to maximize the return by going fast. Going thru a zoning request is wayyyy to cumbersome. City planning under sold these height restrictions years ago… we are now paying the piper for small town thinking and over regulation.

11 Likes

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamen!!! Well said!:grin:

This is a fantastic block for a very tall building, (ed note, please ignore the geographical mistake about what side of the Sq this lot is on. It might be age, or time away from R’wood, but I blew that one.) In addition, because of the open space in front of it, people will be able to appreciate the scale and design in a way that is often lost when you are in a concrete canyon. Its a signature spot for downtown. I hope that the developer will appreciate this unique spot.

2 Likes

And if we had to do no more than 20 floors, how about this?

7 Likes

I may be wrong here, but I’m pretty sure you can if you’re at least under contract to purchase. I believe this is the case with Kane’s project on W Cabarrus (they are under contract on the property; current owner is a Clancey & Theys derivative LLC) and the proposed project down the street adjacent to The Fairweather (developer straight up told neighboring property owners that the sale was contingent on rezoning approval).

If this is the case, then there isn’t as much risk to a developer to enter a deal contingent on rezoning. Based on that, I’d guess that these developers didn’t request rezoning for other reasons.

1 Like

I can’t imagine the process of going through a rezoning request would be enough to sway a developer from adding 10 or 20 floors to the project. I may be wrong but just seems like it’s not that big of a deal

2 Likes

I probably should have asked this earlier, but when you say “soon”, are you thinking within the next 3 months, or possibly longer? :thinking:

Please and thank you again! :smile:

3 Likes

Most likely the developer will submit plans within 3 months . They hope to demo sometime in the summer .

1 Like

I agree with you, and the Five Horizons South Saunders project is another example of a developer submitting a rezoning request without actually owning all of the property yet. I have relatives who have sold property in this way; the sale didn’t close until the municipality approved the rezoning requested by the purchaser.

Indeed — though it certainly isn’t without risk. But since there isn’t a sale pending on this property (that we know of) there should be even less risk, since the Acquisition Group already owns the property and could build on it as it is. The only negatives for them, in my eyes, are the time and cost with holding off on the redevelopment as they wait for the rezoning to be approved. If they’re not seeking a rezoning on this property, they must either be impatient to get started or content with the current zoning (couldn’t they have requested the rezoning quite some time ago if they were interested?).

If 20 or so stories I would prefer neo Art Deco.

5 Likes

It reminds me of Raleigh’s “Wake County” building…also, of a building in Durham. I think we need something different that what we have??? Also, it looks “blue”?

2 Likes

It’s East of Nash Square. It would cast a morning shadow on the park, but I don’t think that there’s anything wrong with some additional shade in the morning.

1 Like

Whatever they do here I hope it has a 10th floor public balcony bar/restaurant/plaza. Something I thought was to be enjoyed at the Dillon by now…

1 Like

Ah. Thanks for correcting my error!

may not be 20 floors but at least it will fill in the gap of the other three tall buildings in DTR.

4 Likes