Former News & Observer Site - Nexus Office Tower

Sold! I’ll take it…:blush:
…where do I pick it up? :joy:

3 Likes

https://www.newsobserver.com/news/business/article226608164.html

7 Likes

…are they serious???

2 Likes

Base of the yet revealed residential portion looks to be using the former N&O loading docks. Hardly a significant structure architecturally. What a waste this site, it even shows that the residential will be even smaller.

Also the Nexus is the most generic corporate name for anything ever. I know, I have a Nexus 6P phone I’m about to get rid off.

3 Likes

Yikes. And to think everyone was griping about 20 stories and we don’t even get that. Ugh.

4 Likes

Well that’s a massive disappointment. I was optimistic 2 or 3 architecturally pleasing towers on this block and now it’s yet another stumpy 15 story glass box. And what looks like an even smaller residential building. Sheesh. I don’t understand how they don’t even plan to max the current zoning on such an expensive lot. That’s crazy to me.

4 Likes

Going from the News and Observer to a 15 story is still a great jump for Raleigh. I know we are torn that’s its not at least a 20 story but as again this is just the first phase.

6 Likes

I’m actually relieved. There should be three other good spots for towers on the lot. Plenty room for bigger things. Looks like it’s eating the parking deck. Makes sense, cheapest place to start.

4 Likes

Seems like a waste of a prime location. I wonder if the fire department’s request that buildings be no taller than 400 feet is resulting in shorter designs in general.

1 Like

What? Come again? Please tell me you’re joking…right? :thinking:
I would take that part serious if by it you mean that DTR has so few buildings over 14 stories? :confused:

1 Like

@dtraleigh

Thank you for the update…so now, share your thoughts. :wink:
I just realized that you didn’t add any comments. :thinking:
Is this proposal really what you had in mind?

I think I’ll become a nimby in reverse…I’ll put out signs and protest the injustice and waste of this perfect location…I am running out of breath due to this rant! :weary:

1 Like

The below is from a 2017 article in the N&O. Interesting? And my question is (this) is what you waited 30 years for?

‘Soto Dey said Acquisition has had its sights on The N&O property for 30 years. He said he has offered to buy the building a number of times, but it never worked out for one reason or another.

“We believe in Raleigh,” he said. “We think there are many opportunities. This is a city that has all the right elements to grow and do well.”

Sotoodeh described himself and his partners as “patient investors” who will work closely with city officials and residents to come up with a project that will benefit everyone.

We believe in Raleigh. … This is a city that has all the right elements to grow and do well.

Sam Sotoodeh, president of the Acquisition Group, a California-based investment company.

Read more here: https://www.newsobserver.com/news/business/article187431353.html#storylink=cpy

2 Likes

Somehow I am not as disappointed by this as you guys. 1.5 million square feet by the end of the project seems like a good number to me.

I am wondering now if that 20 story limit might get downtown built out more quickly. That would be a good thing. Rather than holding out for a tenant to fill up a 30 story building, or having to put together a frankenbuilding with office below and residential on top like PNC, all they have to do is get enough interest for a single use building (which is probably easier and more efficient to build anyway) up to 20 stories and pull the trigger.

When buildable spots are a little less numerous, developers might see the benefit to proposing rezonings to go taller. But in the meanwhile, downtown is hurt much more by gaps between districts than by a lack of height. (For comparison, if PNC were in Virginia or South Carolina, it would be the tallest building in either of those states.)

10 Likes

One city dreams big and paves the way for development while the other consistently settles for less.

4 Likes

Is 15 stories the max they can get under 250’? For reference, charter square south is 215’ at 11 stories.

1 Like

Actually if you look at the back of the rendering there’s a blurred out third tower that looks to be pretty tall compared to the front blurred portion. In my opinion it’s better to have varying heights than all the same.

2 Likes

Thank you!
Good read and great pictures!

Maybe DTR’s taller buildings will come around in 15 to 20 years?
Don’t get me wrong, I relish the fact that developers find DTR lucrative and want to build here, today! I just happen to believe that you can “walk & chew gum” I.e. build smart, taller while at the same time adding density AND people who live,work, & play in the same building and/or block…:blush:

For me, I’m happy to see talk of ground-floor retail. That’s what is important to me. Second, I want to see the appropriate height to support that ground-floor density. 1 ground floor + 14 floors of office sounds pretty good to me to support uses from mon-fri from 9-5 and the later residential components will fill in the rest.

I am a huge supporter of more office and residential in downtown and right now, we are getting absolutely nothing from the former N&O site. I am positive about plans for the N&O block that consist of buildings in the 12-20 story range especially because they will not be made of wood.

Also, for those that think height is needed, if this developer is not meeting the market demands with a short tower, then another most likely will. The market will drive height.

As the affects of zoning on this, that’s another conversation which is important to have. (in another thread)

12 Likes

Yes, looks like the residential tower on the park side will definitely be taller and likely 20 floors. And I would guess architecturally unique as well based on the architect.

2 Likes

I see the 15 story “tower” (boy,that’s a stretch). :joy:
A much shorter parking deck/box too it’s left. :disappointed_relieved:
And then directly behind that, what appears to be another “tower” :rofl:
that appears to be about the same height as the front. (15?)