Former News & Observer Site - Nexus Office Tower

My rough calculations (based on Area Calculator Using Maps) pencil out to 150,000 square feet of land they have to work with. If they really are planning for 1.5m square feet at build-out, that’s an FAR (floor-area-ratio for you non-planners) of 10. That’s appropriate for this block. I really do hope the second phase has a little more creativity to it, because the design for the office tower is no different than anything you’d find at North Hills.

2 Likes

Right, thanks for the correction!

Also disappointed that they would not go higher… but on the bright side I personally like the design and what it will do to street level activation.
Perhaps we just need a couple of more sub 250’ mixed use developments to fill the gaps that also prove successful (like the Dillon) before a developer decides to go 40 stories. The diversified employer base just does not seem to invite for such a big project without a big anchor tenant in place

1 Like

Can someone post the rendering here? I am past my number of free articles for the month with the N&O website :frowning:

1 Like

5 Likes

Did you see anything on when they would start, the article said Phase I would be done around 2021, but I didn’t see a starting date.

They just posted this on TBJ. There is a smaller inset in the rendering. Is it just me or does it look like there are several (IE more than 3) buildings in this cluster?

https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/news/2019/02/22/developer-pitches-1-5m-square-feet-in-downtown.html?iana=hpmvp_trig_news_headline

I can’t save the pic to be able to zoom in on this. Maybe someone with better graphics skills can to this.

2 Likes

Rendering from TBJ with the inset site plan…

8 Likes

Conflicting reports from both N&O and TBJ articles about the number of floors.
From TBJ :
“The development’s initial phase includes a 20-story, 325,000-square-foot office tower facing Salisbury Street, with ground floor retail. The development team plans to break ground in the fall and complete the building in two years.”
From N&O:
“and the first phase will be a 15-story tower that will face Salisbury Street”

Important to note- still no announcement from Pendo and now another office development.
300 Hillsborough
N&O
Bloc 83

4 Likes

Based on the insert, it looks like there are buildings at the corner of Martin/McDowell, and Martin/Salisbury. It also looks like there is another building mid-block along McDowell (facing Nash Square). I am not sure what all the other white areas are. But the grey area on the southern portion of the block… is that green space on top of the parking deck between the buildings??

2 Likes

Wow, they messed up. No defending that.

HAHA! Brasfield is the GC… It gets better.

So is it 16 or 20? 20 would at least be more palatable, but man that building is still so generic.

1. Count the floors on the render.

I got 16 when I counted floor render, if those in between spaces are not interstitial spaces.

Maybe the other tower, the one in the back that is rendered, has more?

29 Likes

Hat tip to @RobertB or sharing these renderings. :wink:

(No idea why they don’t include this stuff in the news articles)

14 Likes

Huh, well, there will be a lot of retail. so that is nice. Full design isn’t too bad either.

6 Likes

Yeah looks better than expected and confirmed two 20 story towers. Do see why we need another ‘plaza’ but okay.

2 Likes

I find it interesting they are advertising big box retail. Sax moving there anyone?

Also, @dtraleigh, I’m not fast enough to post renders. I just panic in anger at one picture.

7 Likes