Former News & Observer Site - Nexus Office Tower

Yes, It appears 3 retail spaces will touch Martin St.

Huge glass front. Downtown Apple store?

1 Like

The underground parking will be 3 levels . If rezoning does happen , usually takes 3 to 6 months . Any tower over 6 floors requires dual fire lines from different streets & this has already been done .

1 Like

There is an interesting article in the Washington Post from February 4, “The Rising Western Skyline” which talks about the buildings going up in Denver, Seattle, Sacramento, Austin, etc that are 500-1000 ft. Some of them 70 stories. I’m sure the developers are just seeing more potential there but I’m not sure why they wouldn’t see the potential here as well. I tried to upload the article here but was unsuccessful.

1 Like

Personal preference, is very much appreciated! Thank you!

This one is debatable…

1 Like

I think it will be a great addition to DTR. All those rooftop spaces will be fantastic on a nice day. Lots of retail and a mixture of building heights and usages. This place will be hopping. Gensler and East-West Partners both do excellent work, too.

Even though there aren’t any really big towers going up, there’s a huge amount of new space proposed all over town. DTR might not have a Manhattan skyline when this is all done, but it will feel vastly more urban walking down the street.

7 Likes

Hmmm an Apple store - are you just guessing? That would be great!

Also a Microsoft Store would be awesome downtown. A mega project like this would be a great home some tech retail.

I guess a Fry’s would be too much to hope for in an expensive retail location like this. The closest Fry’s is in north Atlanta (two of them there!).

1 Like

The renredings make it looks like there’s a ground floor building blocking off the alley that runs between McDowell and Salisbury. But the Level 1 floor plan shows a dropoff for the hotel there.

Also, why does the one overhead rendering make W Hargett look all misaligned along this block?

Not likely happening but if they’re looking for another store in Raleigh this is a good spot with the huge glass retail front.

1 Like

Currently each of those cities is larger and more densely populated than Raleigh. I don’t think that these national developers will bypass Raleigh for much longer as its star rises. It just might take several more years, and after some of the current projects in the queue are completed. Success has a way of breeding more success.

2 Likes

News & Observer updated their story to say the first tower will be 20 stories. 15 floors for office and 5 for parking.

https://www.newsobserver.com/news/business/article226608164.html

2 Likes

<<— will never apologize that at this point in Raleigh’s game, I want a better skyline. For years, we have been screaming density, density, density. Well, we have a hell of a lot more now. So, I am changing my mantra to height, height, height. One can dream

6 Likes

That’s good to hear. Makes way more sense that they are maxing the zoning there. 15 story office didn’t make sense.

3 Likes

It’s hard to tell from the render; it does seem to be just 15 floors from top to bottom.
Is this a tower on a parking podium, wrapped by offices?

5M%20square%20feet%20in%20downtown%20Raleigh%20for%20former%20News%20%26%20Observe

2 Likes

Well what am I going to do with all these pitchforks now?

4 Likes

Stick them on top of the tower to make it bigger.

9 Likes

I’m actually very confused by that, because the renderings make it appear that the parking is set back and surrounded by office on the facade that faces Salisbury.

That’s what you’re seeing where the horizontal louvers are. I was assuming that where the mass transitions to glass is where it’s no longer parking.

But the site plan makes it appear that parking - at least on level 2 - goes pretty close to the street front, which would mean that there’s parking behind some of that glass… maybe I’m reading it wrong

1 Like

Honest question here. What is the obsession with height?

Is it more about a goal to have massive, big city density? Or is it more about how cool the skyline looks?

To me a city like Charlotte with a small-ish footprint and with massive buildings, seems kinda cold and soulless, but thats just my opinion.

To me, these 20 story projects are cool. They provide a good amount of density but kind of keep it feeling a bit more ‘big small town’ and less ‘mega metropolis’. There’s a whole different thread about Raleigh’s brand and what sets it apart and to me, this is one of those things.

It’s a city but it’s got that small town, friendly vibe going on. To me it’s the best of both worlds and it’s something a lot of cities can’t replicate. It’s also a reason why a lot of my family that come visit end up really liking it here.

Anyways, I was always rooting for super tall, super huge buildings and maybe it was subconsciously because I respect this community and it’s what most of you all wanted. However, today’s mock ups from the N&O site made me step back and say “Hey, I think this feels good and kind of fits this location.”

Anyways, just a question and a thought.

13 Likes

On the height argument, don’t forget that we might be getting the tallest tower possible but still at 15 floors. Let’s wait and see when the site plan is submitted.

2 Likes

I hate sprawl, DTR is lacking high population to support retail businesses in DTR. Right now all Raleigh area developers see Raleigh as a line on a spreadsheet, I have higher expectations. Literally.

Plus we have the culture, Charlotte doesn’t. But that doesn’t mean eventually Charlotte won’t have that as well but they will have a more competent core.

2 Likes