Former News & Observer Site - Nexus Office Tower

I also think that developers are wary to enter a market and then try to immediately throw their weight around by asking for variances. If this masterplan of the entire block didn’t work for their financials, they wouldn’t have gone forward.
All in all, I am fine with what’s proposed. Count me among the people who want street level experiences first, but I also realize that these experiences need people. The challenge is to provide enough people in an immediate area to activate the street with activity, and this entire project is setting that up with built-in daytime, nighttime, and weekend occupants.

5 Likes

It would make more sense for Edison to be Red Hat number 2 just based on distance from the current tower.

3 Likes

I definitely feel a lot better seeing the entire site plan. This is a big deal assuming they reach full build-out, and four 200+ ft. towers may be more visually striking than one 400+ ft one, at least as far as stretching out the City’s skyline.

Nonetheless, what is going on with that pedestrian plaza? The site plans seems to suggest a street going straight through from McDowell to Salisbury, but the renderings have a large brick and glass building at the Salisbury side of the plaza. So which is correct?

The lack of sufficient office space has hampered the ability to attract companies to DTR as well as accommodate the expansion needs of companies already located here. This project, along with 300 Hillsborough, 401H, and Bloc 83, are going to make a huge impact on the office market and help build momentum. The retail and residential components of the project are exciting as well. Looking forward to watching downtown take a leap forward.

6 Likes

we deliver. :grin::truck:

2 Likes

9 posts were merged into an existing topic: Historic Preservation in Raleigh. What to keep?

So all of these pictures appear to really be showing off “214 Salisbury”? Also some possible retail/parking. I must admit that I’ll be interested in seeing the pictures of the other buildings. Maybe they’ll be a bit less boxy?

2 Likes

Site plan has been submitted. 15 stories.

https://www.raleighnc.gov/content/PlanDev/Documents/DevServ/DevPlans/Reviews/2019/SiteReview%20/SR-012-19.pdf

3 Likes

No wonder it will have underground parking. They’re using every single foot of height allowed before re-zoning has to be requested. 250 feet.

6 Likes

They really should have requested a zoning variance.

4 Likes

I agree with Steve…To make a 40 story building a reality, there has to be a real estate demand that supports the height. Our market is not a strong pre-lease market, so it can be 40 stories and sit on the shelf until we get an unicorn
HQ deal, or it can be 20 stories and see the light of day this cycle.

4 Likes

Twelve-foot parapet as well, so a total visual impact of 262 feet. For reference, merely 15 feet shorter than Progress Plaza. Plus, looking at the elevations in the plans, this thing is wiiiiiiiiiide. It completely dwarfs the other buildings on the block, including 127 W. Hargett (the Professional Building), which itself is visually striking along that block.

2 Likes

For what it’s worth the remaining 3 structures (condo, residential & hotel) are all designated as phase two on the plans. That hopefully means they go up at the same time

1 Like

The full site review submittal is now up on the city’s website with the plan sheets and elevations. I’m curious the extent of the underground parking and wonder if it will cover the whole site and all be constructed with Phase 1. There are entrances/exits to underground parking on both Martin & Hargett Streets.

1 Like

In the document, it states that 1,275 parking spaces are provided rather than the required 655, so I would assume this will cover at least part of the parking requirements for Phase 2.

But will the below grade levels cover the whole site? If they went ahead and built underground levels under future phase 2 areas, they could be limited on building massing in the future (ala FNB Tower).

Interesting that this building has a first to second floor distance of 28 feet, followed by 4 additional floors at 20 feet, before settling into a repetition of 14 foot floor-2-floor distance.
At the end of the day, it doesn’t matter how many floors it is, they are maximizing the height allowed by the UDO.

2 Likes

I’m excited. With the submittal and plans to open in 2021, I’m assuming we have to see a ground breaking very soon. Especially with the demo that’s going to be needed.

2 Likes

For that to happen demo and significant sitework will need to begin this year for sure but these large projects will take a minimum of 4-6 months get through the site plan approval process.

At this point, actual 250 ft buildings are much better than wishful pipe dreams. For skyline purposes, I’d like to see 1 legit 500 ft tower (not a 400 footer with a thin 100 foot spire) within the next 5 years. Either way, very happy there are real projects going up.

6 Likes