Rockway (formerly Park City South) - Saunders/Lake Wheeler Apartments and Retail

How many towers will this project have

All the renderings Iā€™ve seen have had 5 or 6 towers. Donā€™t know if thatā€™s representative of the current plans.

1 Like

Crane is easily visible from the Wilmington Street bridge over the railroad tracks (aka ā€œThe Humpā€). Towers in this location will be an interesting addition to the western viewshed.

10 Likes

Thetll be bland from the original design, but none of the towers will be 40.

Ha, I snapped this one on Friday, from the greenway side. I had a laugh about how it looked like theyā€™d set up to just dump all the trash directly into the creek. Then I worried if there was a chance that was actually the planā€¦ But this morning I saw that the conveyer has moved and the pile of old tires and other waste remains on site. (You can see this conveyor and the pile of tires especially clearly in Dylanā€™s 5th picture.)
This clearing does NOT appear to be the implied location of the eventual bridge connecting this project to the greenway, but I donā€™t believe the location given on the old ASR documents is necessarily still the plan. But it is an amusing window onto the construction site.

10 Likes

Parking deck Lego set has arrived and is going up

27 Likes

Hehe, looks like JKK beat me to it.
Was gonna share my definitely-not-a-drive-by pic

21 Likes

24 Likes

Quick reminder that this deck will be internal at least on S Saunders streetscape.
Looking back at this, Iā€™m pretty pumped for the retail space with Restaurant Terrace right above a new 10ā€™ greenway with a new bridge over the creek to connect to the existing greenway. Going to be a great outdoor experience

20 Likes

This is what weā€™re seeing built right? Iā€™ll admit, this project, Iā€™ve just not been as engaged but found these guys here.

Looks like it will be Park City South Phase 1. This is the shorter, 336 apartment building.

[Edit: This one is much nicer :slight_smile: From here.]

39 Likes

ā€œOnce complete, Park City South will serve as a model for development along city greenways in Raleigh and share techniques that will elevate the cityā€™s public realm.ā€

Respectable choice for landscape designers! Certainly will be nice if they activate on above goal from your linkā€¦

8 Likes

What are those invisible towers for the very first one

Love the metal siding (hopefully final product actually looks like these renders) - the protruding parking deck is still trash, but damn if this ainā€™t a quality looking apartment complex with some great pedestrian activity. I canā€™t complain too much (other than that parking deck, just hope the extra floors that stick out the top are painted nicely to appear fluid with the rest of the building, and not just left as bare concreteā€¦)

1 Like

Probably later phases. Or maybe they are planned parking decks they didnt want to include in renderings (kidding!)

1 Like

That may be phase 2. Iā€™m just focusing on the first phase, what is actually being built right now.

9 Likes

Wonder how many of these spaces are set to be for retail/restaurant? Do they ALL indicate retail space??? That would be incredibleā€¦

4 Likes

Actually, I saw that from the site plane here. Basically, the retail/restaurant spaces are all those ground-floor spaces on the northern side (right-most in the graphic), those two ā€œbuildingsā€ shown. The Promenade will have outdoor seating facing the greenway.

6 Likes

So only the spots circled in yellow are set to be retail? Any idea what the other sets of spaces are to be? (Red, Green, and Blue?)
bde6faf4e7f64eb7d4e65462bec2f95e6d1fd312

2 Likes

Yep - the Red is outlined as ā€˜Flex Spaceā€™ and the blue / green seem to be amenity aspects of the residentialā€¦

Hopefully ā€œflex spaceā€ means the possibility of retail in the future!

2 Likes