Smoky Hollow Phases 1, 2, and 3

Yes, everybody back off and go reread @OakCityDylan original post. Y’all are punching at shadows. His comment about being glad to not lose a view is honest, fair, accurate, on point, and not NIMBY at all. He is glad to retain the view but would be just as glad to have a 40 story tower there. Nothing wrong with that.

5 Likes

Understood. Thank you for the clarification and my words certainly aren’t directed at you then. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I used to work in that building several years ago and really enjoyed my time there.

For what’s worth, I think staggering the highest buildings works better in a few ways…sure folks get views, but also it balances impacts to infrastructure a little, and also allows a well designed tower to shine and stick out where it can be seen. Can you imagine Hearst and BOA in Charlotte right up next to each other? It’d be a waste of all the design time and materials. I got the feeling Kane considers all of these things in his plans.

3 Likes

Agreed. Not every plot of land needs to be maximized in height. That would be its own special sort of Hell.

1 Like

14 posts were split to a new topic: Coffee in Downtown

A post was merged into an existing topic: Coffee in Downtown

Finds is gone, the last building to go

9 Likes

Awesome, my thanks!
I wonder if they will “move” the cam and let us see construction for this part of Smokey Hollow?

1 Like

If not, I’m still here!

3 Likes

I’ll be by twice a week as well. From the pedestrian perspective lol

1 Like

I know they said May timeframe for “starting” but this looks like phase 2 prep work. One tearing up a retaining wall and 2 more being delivered.

8 Likes

I’m happy with this!
I had seen conflicting reports between April and May, but once Finds came down I figured it was only a matter of weeks before they took down the rest.

3 Likes

It’s been a while since I posted a picture. Progress is harder to follow in this phase of construction. Lots of roof work happening on Peace bldg, the “thing” in front of the parking deck is in fact a ramp, continued soil remediation at Phase III lot, and a portrait picture so that you can see the beginning of pavement / slab removal in the foreground as well as heavy equipment ready to chew up a lot more for Phase II.

13 Likes

Great pictures, thanks for sharing!

Here’s some from the east and north sides:

11 Likes

Check this out:

interesting nuggets on neighboring potential projects:

“Kane isn’t the only developer eyeing high-density development in that part of downtown. Developer Bobby Lewis hopes to add a twenty-story hotel across the street from the new Publix on Peace Street, and another developer, whom Crowder declined to name, might ask for a forty-story rezoning just across Capital Boulevard from Kane’s project.”

17 Likes

Haha I just posted this in the Elections thread. I can’t stand Crowder

4 Likes

Is our city council serious…

3 Likes

“They came and talked to me about it months ago, and I laughed,” Crowder says. “You always laugh when people ask for that much.”

Crowder is insane, and should be booted out immediately. My god.

9 Likes

Raleigh city council is a joke

4 Likes