Smoky Hollow Phases 1, 2, and 3

Something I noticed is that Peace at West isn’t listed on Kane’s website, at least that I can see.

3 Likes

Wouldn’t read much into it. Neither is Smokey Hollow Phase II.

2 Likes

Also, neither is whatever is going to happen at the Clancey and Theys spot. However, NH’s tower 4 has been up there for like 2 years. Ever since the Allscripts building was completed. I’d agree though to not read much into it.

Kane probably put Tower 4 on his website for marketing purposes, because it’s a large office tower and needs tenants. We all know he won’t hesitate to build speculatively, but every developer would prefer to have a tenant lined up.

1 Like

He moves faster than his web developers…

7 Likes

Found this old pic on the NCDOT site. Gives a pretty good idea about the remaining exits, etc. at the Capital / Peace intersection.

3 Likes

That’s a still from the video it seems. You can find the video on youtube.

2 Likes
2 Likes

I’m not sure I understand why they built that hard 90 deg turn exit of Capital onto Harrington. That’s going to be a recipe for people going too fast and not being able to make that exit.

1 Like

The speed limit on Capital is supposed to be reduced to 35PH from Wade Ave. southward. At least that’s what we were told at a presentation a few years ago.

3 Likes

You mean just like how the Raleigh Speedway, aka Wade Ave is 35?

6 Likes

The City can reduce the speed limits all they want but it won’t be enforced. The police simply don’t care, it seems.

1 Like

I certainly don’t expect people to actually do 35, but I do expect it to be slower because people are currently exceeding the 45 limit today. So, 55 in a 45 becomes 45 in a 35…or something like that.

2 Likes

South Saunders and Western Blvd are just as bad.

There are hundreds of streets in the greater Raleigh area where speed limits are 45 and higher and cars make hard right or left 90 degree turns all the time. This will be no more difficult.

1 Like

The difference is that Capital is pretty much a freeway. (maybe not officially, but might as well be.). Some people won’t expect the 90 deg hard right turn. Granted, people that drive it everyday will know. But there are always those that won’t expect it and/or arne’t paying attention.

1 Like

I’ll tell you that the current “free flow” T at Johnson and Harrington is a cluster. When they open Johnson all the way through, something has to change. I don’t think they can put a light in because it would back up the Speedway (aka Capital Blvd). They will figure it out.

1 Like

The speed limit switched to 35 starting just south of Peace even before the new configuration. I’m keenly aware of this because I used to drive that way every day, and I got pulled over once during a speed trap.

It was actually a bad place to start the new speed limit because the road is on a decline (but an excellent place for a speed trap). Even if you’re just coasting, there’s a good chance that inertia and gravity will make you break the speed limit!

4 Likes

Except that there are already hard 90 degree turns that go into the businesses along that stretch (including a crossover in the median), not to mention a couple of streets before you get to W Johnson St (Dortch St). It’s not really that much of a freeway. I think people will be fine.

More reason to change it to 35 at Wade Avenue.

2 Likes