Smoky Hollow Phases 1, 2, and 3

It appears to be a ramp.

4 Likes

You answered so many questions for me. Thank you. If you have the link for this, I may be able to quit thinking.

1 Like

That rant about @GucciLittlePig’s car just made me LOL at Big Ed’s. :rofl:

My car has OneWheel so I either beat all of you, or lose badly. Lol

Also, it seems they’re about to deconstruct one of the cranes. I’m guessing the taller one that sits between the garage and main building.

1 Like

Between the crane removal, exterior wall building, speculation of the ramp, wrapping up of the Bldg Envelope repairs at The West on my side, and a few other things, my entertainment value is declining. Thank goodness the parking garage for Phase 2 is starting soon!

2 Likes

I think that you are going to be quite entertained for the next 5 years or more. Stay calm and “voyeur” on. :rofl::wink::innocent:

4 Likes

https://www.raleighnc.gov/content/PlanDev/Documents/DevServ/DevPlans/Reviews/2016/SiteReview/SR-053-16.pdf

2 Likes

This link also gives us a clue to where the entrance to Publix will likely be. Those elevators are on the Peace side of the building and take you to a retail vestibule. There’s also a walkway from it to Peace St. I imagine that there will also be a covered walkway from the corner of Peace and West that takes you to the entrance along the face of the building.
Coming from Glenwood South, I imagine that I’ll walk along Johnson and cut through the garage that has the entrance on Johnson to get out of elements. From there, walk through the parking garage to the elevators on the other side of the building.

1 Like

Does it look like there are four elevators in the retail vestibule? Would those be to get from the Publix to the garage and vice a versa ? Not sure why I care so much about that because I’ll be walking along Harrington to get there.

1 Like

Yes it does. I’ll bet you that you end up cutting through that garage too at some point. In fact, I imagine that most coming form West, Metropolitan, Link, Quorum, and Smokey Hollow will end up cutting through that parking garage at some point on foot. It’s just going to be a shortcut. The same is true for anyone coming from Glenwood South along Johnson. It’s just going to be more convenient. Obviously the architect and developer did not account for this pedestrian behavior in the parking garage design.

1 Like

I won’t be around to see this one play out but hopefully @R-Dub can let us know what goes down. I assume the small crane is coming down.

4 Likes

@OakCityDylan I’m on it. At work today, but I have a web cam pointed that way.

Oh yeah, I guess I can PTZ mine around and look that way, too. :laughing:

1 Like

The wonders of technology.

2 Likes

It’s the larger crane coming down first.

4 Likes

Half of it’s down. Sorry I didn’t get to watch that. That damned job of mine :).

3 Likes

It’s a bit melancholy when the cranes come down, signaling an end of a phase of the construction. But it’ll be great when this project opens (late this year perhaps, but likely 2020) and the residents move in and the Publix opens. Should be transformational for the area, especially with phase 2 and 3 to follow.

3 Likes

Of the many things to consider with this project, I am most curious as to what retail will end up in the little odd triangular part facing Harrington. I have this sense like it’ll be something like a Verizon Store…note that is not what I would be hoping for but it’s a missing thing downtown.

3 Likes

That retail corner is two levels actually. Zoom in. Which makes it even more interesting.

3 Likes

I don’t recall seeing the Publix logo on the renders. Looks cool enough…

f

I thought I saw shopping cart storage on the side of the building (lol!) but it’s outside seating area.
I can’t tell if that’s bike storage to the right of that.

4 Likes

Those arcs next to the outdoor seating are bike racks. I wonder if they’ll actually put them in like that.

4 Likes