Smoky Hollow Phases 1, 2, and 3

The smaller crane coming down today.

5 Likes

The phase 3 rezoning is hitting the planning commission on March 26. From the agenda:

Z-3-19: Harrington and Peace, located at 517 Capital Boulevard, 401 W Peace Street, 407 W Peace St, 312 W Johnson Street, and 506 N Harrington Street, being Wake County PINs 1704515652, 1704515724, 1704516698, 1704516902, 1704517838. Approximately 2.92 acres are requested by Chaucer Investments, LLC to be rezoned from Downtown Mixed Use-12 stories and Downtown Mixed Use-12 stories-Shopfront (DX-12 & DX-12-SH) to Downtown Mixed Use-40 stories-Conditional Use and Downtown Mixed Use-40 stories-Shopfront-Conditional Use (DX-40-CU & DX-40-SH-CU). Proposed zoning conditions prohibit adult establishments.

This request is consistent with the Future Land Use Map and consistent with the 2030 Comprehensive Plan overall.

The North Central CAC voted in favor of the request (10 to 5).

The deadline for Planning Commission action is the regularly scheduled June 11, 2019 meeting.

5 Likes

Staff’s report saying that this is consistent with the FLUM and comp plan should carry a lot of weight here.

4 Likes

Nice, it will have (mainly?) office space at 15 feet height a floor. This might be the second or third tallest building in Raleigh.

2 Likes

Or the folks on city council will ask for it to be shorter so people don’t get scared driving by.

7 Likes

That’s their secret Captain, they’re always scared.

4 Likes

I’m expecting 30+ for sure on this project. Kane puts out what he puts down on paper… for the most part

2 Likes

I’m glad to see this area start getting height and I have a hope, it’s small amount of hope, that Phase 3 will become the tallest in the city, but probably not

1 Like

Remember that changing the zoning to DX-40 also comes with its own cap in height at 500ft. They will not get 40 floors of commercial out of that height; it’s just too short. What is easier to imagine is a floor of retail, a sandwiched garage, some commercial floors, and then the remaining floors of residential and hotel. I’m still not sure that they’d successfully reach 40 floors though. PNC is over 500 ft with a similar model and tops out at 33 floors. It can, however, become Raleigh’s second tallest tower.

4 Likes

Do you know if that includes the “crown” on the PNC? Or just before the crown?

1 Like

@dtraleigh and @nipper.dwight
What are your thoughts as to when we could expect to see the rendering submitted to the city or planning dept? Or do we have to wait until “after” the rezoning request to be totally completed? (later this year?)…and then we get around to that part?

The ceiling is only at 427 feet according to Emporis. It’s 427 feet tall with a 111 foot spire.

So if Kane decides to use the max 500 feet allowed he will have the tallest looking building in the skyline.

I wonder if adding a spire would count against the allowance because he could well make it the tallest using that method.

OMG early renders of the PNC Plaza (RBC Plaza) are crazy ugly

5 Likes

PNC is still pretty ugly IMO. :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

Only if it helps make their rezoning case stronger. A rendering is not required.

I do believe that 538’ includes the crown, but I’m not sure about the spire on the crown.

2 Likes

Second tallest, but with more floors/levels is what I am thinking…
I do wish that they had included at least a simple sketch so that I would have at least an idea of “there” thought process…:smirk:

I could definitely have more floors if it’s primarily hotel or residential occupancy. If it has more floors of office space than PNC, it’s doubtful.

OMG, you took the words out of my mouth!

Buildings close to raised roads are such a wonder to me. I drove through Richmond a couple months ago and was just amazed, driving on a highway through what seemed to be the middle of downtown. It was awe-inspiring. This building next to the Peace st bridge should end up quite striking.

3 Likes

That’s definitely something. Went to Richmond last year with my girlfriend (NC native), and she had never been. All she knew of Richmond was driving through it on that weird stretch.

2 Likes