Smoky Hollow Phases 1, 2, and 3

Same. I’m much more interested in sustaining local bars and breweries against an influx of World of Beer/Blue Martini type places than about big box retail, especially when it’s a top flight big box like Publix (speaking as someone from Florida).

1 Like

May I interest you in 2015? :wink:

4 Likes

I have no idea what you mean.

…back when all those things were still there. It was a light joke.

1 Like

As a resident of this area, I am beyond thrilled with what is happening. And, very happy that Kane is the one doing it. I like what he does and how he does it. I just want it to all be 12 floors or less :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:. The area had become an eyesore and it was time for redevelopment. Without a solid anchor like Publix, I don’t think the Peace project would be happening so I agree with @dtraleigh about the “subsidy “.

To the contrary, I think that including Publix in the Peace project probably made it less profitable for Kane. Fitting big, open retail spaces into buildings like this isn’t cheap. However, it’s laying the groundwork for a bunch more major developments in the area, which will be able to command a premium due to the proximity to Publix.

I don’t necessarily see 40 stories making sense here, but I also don’t see a strong public interest argument against it either (I don’t consider view corridors from other buildings to be such an argument.)

I really don’t mind if a developer develops something smaller, even 5 stories or whatever, but I’m a little bothered when zoning places an artificial limit on heights downtown. I don’t see how 40 stories should be the limit, or how it would only be appropriate on Fayetteville Street.

I guess the one positive of restrictive zoning is that if each development is smaller, it sort of caps land values, making it easier to buy parking lots for redevelopment, and resulting in a faster transformation overall. But I’m kind of in favor of letting developers build projects as big as they want, at least downtown.

6 Likes

Here’s the ConstructionCam. Interesting how they left the cranes standing with the hurricane coming through. Someone on a Miami forum said 'yep, they leave up and let ‘em swing’. :astonished:

1 Like

I am so with you on the fountain when Cap Blvd begins/ends. I’ve felt that way since the 80s. Its would be an wonderful way to enter downtown.

1 Like

Landing a grocer is usually the first step in attracting more retail. With Publix in Kane’s project, it will make leasing the rest of the retail in all three phases MUCH easier and profitable. I don’t see how landing Publix has been some sort of financial burden for Kane. I also suspect that Kane will be able to charge a premium for the apartments in the building as well since its residents will be able to take an elevator down to a grocery store.

6 Likes

I think (and I could be wrong) but adding a single large space is maybe initially expensive? But in my opinion a great risk in the long term for the area and of course for resale…

Either way, not much of a gamble for JK :blush:

1 Like

Here’s a neat shot with a train photobomb…

11 Likes

The 1am concrete pours had started, but I think Flo may have slowed them down. I’m suspicious they are doing one later tonight. When there is noticeable progress, I’ll post another picture from up top.

2 Likes

This thing is going to be really impactful. Fully built out, it’s a total game changer!

1 Like

They have a good start on the 5th Floor. There is serious paving work going on with the Johnson Street exit / Peace Street connector. Here is my guess…

They will use the new exit just south of the new bridge, soon, to exit from Capital onto Peace (East and West). And, to get onto Capital Southbound from Peace. This would allow them to close the existing exit/entrance on Southbound capital so that they can put the new road into place for the first half of the new bridge. This also makes the new traffic signal at Peace and Harrington make sense for being there so soon.

11 Likes

That sequence sounds completely plausible!

Slightly different angle of the construction.

23 Likes

Bravo! Great shots!:grinning:

2 Likes

@OakCityDylan you put my shots to shame! Awesome photography! Thank you.

2 Likes

Jump higher next time! :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

@OakCityDylan
Bravo and thank you! :blush:

1 Like