Pictures and Videos of Downtown Raleigh

Beautiful panorama taken from Dorothea Dix comparing 2005 to 2019. Credit to Matt Robinson of Metro Scenes.

8 Likes

Nice! Be cool to stick the 40 story Kane tower in the latest to see where it appers in Matt’s shot.

As I was driving by Shaw this morning I snapped this. I think these buildings would look much better with a cool paint scheme. Maybe bring them back to life and make them a little more fun?

3 Likes

The building looks well maintained from the outside and is indicative of its era. For me, what’s missing are some trees!!! It’s sitting on the most boring landscape imaginable.

3 Likes

Of course, once you paint it you’ll have to repaint the rest of the buildings life.
Same as the absence of trees - easier and cheaper maintenance!

I can buy the argument to not paint, and frankly I don’t support painting buildings that aren’t intended to be painted, but I can’t agree with that argument about trees.

2 Likes

Its like tombstones - modern cermetary’s have gone to the little metal plaques. They make me sad. I love the creativity and emotion many real tombstones possess. But it all comes down the $$s, right? Being able to mow until eternity. I am with you, a college campus should be green and leafy. Shaw’s been running a shoestring budget for . . . basically all its existence, but surely they can invest in some trees, it will naturally make it a prettier campus & one would think attract new students.

2 Likes

Wasn’t that building damaged by the tornado? I wonder if there were trees that were also taken down and just never replanted.

3 Likes

looks like a housing project if ya ask me

1 Like

Pretty sure they are “housing projects”- aka dorms.

3 Likes

That’s a weird way to describe them. They don’t look much different than other dorms around the state

3 Likes

A lot of buildings built in that time period were either interpretations of the International Style, and later Brutalism. It makes sense in NC for clean modern buildings like the one you shared to be constructed of a local material, but in a very clean and straight forward way without ornamentation. While straight forward and clean, International Style buildings often had a lightness quality to them through the juxtaposition of solid planes and broad planes of glazing or openess. Public buildings built after WW2 and through the 60s were often influenced by International Style, while Brutalism really hit its stride in the 70s. While the Archdale Building may be considered Brutalist, the best example in Raleigh (IMO) is the Bath Building.

3 Likes

Hot take: The Bath Building is kinda cool actually. More interesting to me than any other building in that area except the Legislature itself.

Poe Hall in NC State is another brutalist building.

1 Like

Since we’re on the subject of the Archdale, I took this the other day:

5 Likes

Nice shot! Did we determine what its clad with? It seems to me its a stone. The building to the right in this shot is clad with stone I am pretty sure. I know the Legislative Bldg is concrete that is suppose to weather to a stone finish.

Downtown from South and West streets

14 Likes

Coming into downtown on Wilmington Street!

11 Likes

I snapped this pic from the Skyhouse parking deck!

12 Likes

The FNB tower is making it’s presence felt in the skyline view from south west of DTR. Looks like it’s gonna be a beautiful spring day.

26 Likes

Great shot man. Once they put the little cap on top, it’s seriously going to help the skyline look more varied from this angle. Lovin’ it

7 Likes