Pictures and Videos of Downtown Raleigh

I don’t know how @OakCityDylan does all the he does … much less also what all Matt does. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

2 Likes

Or how he lives in two places downtown while he builds a third one.

:man_shrugging:t3:

:fountain::office::derelict_house::sunrise_over_mountains::sunrise::train2::minibus::steam_locomotive:

7 Likes

You forgot :movie_camera:

1 Like

Don’t know where else to put these. I heard @John was back in town so I followed him. Practicing for my new surveillance gig (totally kidding).

Walking down North St towards Glenwood.

At the Glenwood Market ATM, presumably to buy something from the market.

This one was particularly hard to get. He was clearly looking for desert.

Now shhhh…don’t tell him!

8 Likes

I’m never stepping out on my balcony again.

1 Like

I’ll let you know if you step out on your balcony again…

8 Likes

Well, at least not in your drawers.

5 Likes

28 Likes

From Saturday

35 Likes

12 Likes

Can’t even see two full blocks

13 Likes

@netposer Nice! Haven’t seen that angle before.
I dig the 10 story Residence Inn making a nice impression in this artsy shot.

1 Like

I took a foggy picture this morning too.

13 Likes

Red Cross at Raleigh Depot World War I

6 Likes

Pretty awesome pics. Can you give us a good idea of about where this was?

I’m wondering if that pyramid shaped roof with the two chimney chutes is the old union station on Dawson (?) can anyone confirm?

1 Like

The area around Union Depot (Dawson) was pretty built up during that era. For long passenger consists like that, it’s more likely around the Seaboard Air Line operations on the ridge above Smoky Hollow.

Will check it out further when I can.

This article in the News and Observer mentions engine changes on troop transports during that era. Seaboard Air Line would have been the only road doing swaps like that in Raleigh.

1 Like

In the second picture that looks a lot like what is now the Cotton Mill - but then mill architecture is pretty generic, lol. But that could be evidence that this is indeed the smokey hollar & Seaboard depot area

Seaboard Station

If the powerlines still crossover the tracks in the same location, should be in this area:

3 Likes