Platform and West End II - Development at W Cabarrus/S Saunders

Interesting how for branding purposes they seem to be creating their own sub-district name (West End) since the Warehouse District includes this area south of the tracks.

5 Likes

Since their parking deck entrance is from the west street extension tunnel, at least that means that that project must also be on this 2023-2024 timeline.

8 Likes

Looks great as far as 5 over 1s go. Is this replacing those mass timber office buildings though? Bummer if that’s the case.

Also, re: 4000 sf retail, It seems like in our market, developers are hesitant to overdo it if there’s a lot of retail nearby, while it seems like in some other cities the assumption is that the ground level in active areas is almost always going to be public/retail. Wish we had that attitude here so we didn’t end up with dead-zones along facades of these huge buildings.

1 Like

First time seeing (or paying attention to) this. What the hell is that fenced-in corner?

2 Likes

The gas pipe infrastructure.

“The new, unnamed project will have 240 apartments, 290 parking spaces and 4,000 square feet of retail space. The building will be five floors of residences on top of two floors of parking while the retail will be at street level.” https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/news/2022/09/02/kane-realty-west-end-raleigh-next-phase-apartments.html

AND LOOK WHAT ELSE IS BACK ON THE TABLE FOR KANE ACCORDING TO THE THE SAME BIZ ARTICLE: The other development in the West End project is the West Cabarrus Warehouses where plans are to renovate two industrial buildings at 518 S. West St. into a retail and dining hub.

18 Likes

Whoa!!! I didn’t catch that! So much Happening close to home!

10 Likes

Developers have to install road stubs when they’re on planned new roads so likely they’ll build it up to the driveway entrance then end it there for now.

The cell service will be amazing!

1 Like

I know way off subject but on subject of cell service: Disk bought Republic and then made changes so my 4G phone can not use wifi anymore and nearest tower I can connect to is >18miles yes miles away. Their help line told me I needed to switch to there 5G plan and buy a new phone. Net result is DISK/REPUB :rage: :rage: :rage:LIC has killed my call service. ARRRRRRRRR.

…in a restaurant in a West End town
Call the police, there’s a mad man around
Running down underground
To a dive bar in a West End town…

West End Raleigh? I like it. :slight_smile:

9 Likes

It’s literally a West End town, dead end world…!

1 Like

West End sounds way cooler than WeEn. :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

It looks like Kane and the Biz Journal are doing a little rebranding. I always thought this was part of the “Warehouse District” but “West End” is ok…I guess…it may just take me a hot minute to get used to that terminology.

3 Likes

When you tear down all of the warehouses, you got to call it something.

6 Likes

There be the truth of the matter…but “warehouse district” just sounds cool and gritty. “West End” is just going to take some getting used to.

Hey why don’t we call it the WILD WEST END…Wild West End - YouTube

We can think of it as the West End of the Warehouse District

2 Likes

WE_Wa_Di…??? / charac/s

3 Likes

From how Gaylord was using West End it was to describe their little corner of the Warehouse District south of the tracks and west of West Street:

“… and a top-floor sky lounge with views of the West End, the Warehouse District, and Downtown Raleigh.”

Does not seem to be employed in place of the Warehouse District. Just a clever means to geographically designate their particular southern corner of that district across the tracks.

Interesting - the “West End” I guess would be the zone in between Boylan Heights and the railroad tracks. It does feel a bit disconnected from the Warehouse District - I’d always thought of Boulted Bread/Sam Jones/etc as being Boylan Heights’ shopping district.

1 Like