Platform and West End II - Development at W Cabarrus/S Saunders

Which comes first 400h, the Hilton Garden Hotel, or the Cabarrus development?

1 Like

HGI crane first. There’s already bags of concrete and rebar.
Like this post enough and I’ll run down and get some pics (you know I’ll do it anyway).
:rofl:

19 Likes

Are these the renderings of the proposed construction?

Yes but only the apartment side of the project is slated for construction anytime soon, far as I know

Here is the link to what’s currently being built.

1 Like

so looking again at the plans @clairebertt just linked for us, the train platform side is going to be all parking deck? I really hope they do some sort of treatment that is a) good looking b) greenery or best of all c) room for a massive mural/art instillation. Think “welcome to Raleigh” or “travel by train” or some sort cool, civic boosterish deal.

10 Likes

I agree- especially since it will be visible from places like Wye Hill. I definitely understand why they chose to put parking there, but hopefully it isn’t too dull.

2 Likes

I heard from a neighbor who is working with Kane on branding for this project that the designs have changed from what we last saw, but I haven’t seen anything new myself. :woman_shrugging:t2: Still just the apartments, though.

The project isn’t on Kane’s project page anymore, but Raleigh Mag apparently has a blurb in their October issue with familiar renderings and has even declared this area the West End district. I guess that makes @clairebertt and me West End Girls.

5 Likes

I guess I live in the East End lol.

1 Like

Will we come up with a West End Story?

2 Likes

West End district? I’m unenthused :roll_eyes:

I mean come on… Iron District! Smoky Hollow! West End…

4 Likes

We will have to do something to liven it up!

How do we shorten West End??
Wend?
WesEnd?
I’m struggling here. We need a cooler name, dammit.

1 Like

Westie? With a white little fluffy dog mascot? Westy in tribute to Transporter Werks that used to exist?

5 Likes

Our neighborhood is clearly the West End Misfits. But yeah, completely uninspired name for sure.

2 Likes

Ironically TW is werking on my bug. Different forum for that, but know Shawn well and have been down to the new Dunn location several times. :slight_smile:

1 Like

If y’all are shooting down the name, does that make you “The Area Formally Known as West End”?
TAFKAWE actually sounds faintly exotic, especially if I turn my hearing aid down and slur it.

4 Likes

Relevant for this thread as well. (click the down carat to expand the preview)

1 Like

Ours is pretty good too; Prince Hall. I agree West End is pretty bland.

1 Like

When the first homes on S Saunders St in the Rosengarten Park neighborhood were being renovated a decade ago, the developer applied for a neighborhood historic designation. Apparently it was on the northeastern edge of what once was the Fourth Ward, a historically Black neighborhood (hence why Rosengarten isn’t considered part of Boylan Heights) that was eventually all but erased thanks to urban renewal. The proposed designation would have been Old Fourth Ward.

The historic designation wasn’t granted because too many structures had been torn down over the years. I don’t know if Fourth Ward is entirely appropriate for this area, but I think it’s better than West End!

(Also, we should all comment on the Raleigh Magazine article letting them know how we feel about their lack of creativity lol.)

1 Like