Platform and West End II - Development at W Cabarrus/S Saunders

Yes, and the same developer (I think) that worked on Rosengarten (and Dorothea Gardens, and now the tall skinnies on Maywood) also has plans for townhomes at the corner of Dorothea and Saunders – tentatively called Fourth Ward. – Fourth Ward | Developments | Downtown Raleigh

4 Likes

I love that we have a @Westend_Boys username now.
:rofl:

2 Likes

Long artificial in TBJ on this, but not much in way of new information, just a detail summery of what’s being build and possible future plans.

https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/news/2021/10/12/kane-realty-development-the-platform-raleigh.html.

edit: artificial to Article - thanks auto correct

2 Likes

think you need an “h” at the beginning there to make this a clickable link!

thanks fixed that hhhhhhhhhh

hadnt seen this angle before

27 Likes

Shall we call it Boylan’s Edge Doughnut ?

2 Likes

The original Planned Dev renderings were so much better than this. Boylan really screwed the pooch.

11 Likes

Cool! Another brick, grey and beige entire-block monolith! We can never have enough of these!

2 Likes

True the original renderings looked great compared to this!

I agree that the PD renderings were better, but I doubt that the PD would have actually happened as presented with everything that has changed in the world. I suspect Kane would have pivoted away from that (a la Park City South :nauseated_face:) due to the drastic change in market conditions and we would’ve ended up with this anyway.

The TBJ article said they are also considering adding residential to phase 2 (originally 100% office and commercial) depending on the demands of the market. It also mentioned that they still want to do a mass timber project, but they’re undecided about where/when and haven’t ruled it out for this site yet.

5 Likes

This literally looks like Stanhope 2.0

EDIT: …which is one of the worst of the 5-over-1s in the entire city, IMO

2 Likes

Gonna disagree, Stanhope is one of the best, IMO.

This, but less ironically. I wouldn’t say we can never have too many, but right now, we definitely have nowhere near enough. Raleigh’s density needs a boost. Big time. So, Mid rise printer go BRRR

My definition of “not good enough” for mid-rise residential architecture is the Park City South massive garage monolith thing. That is a monstrosity. But, build up the building around the garage, or (alternatively) shrink down the garage, and… BRRR

10 Likes

Stanhope has created an isolating, cold, canyon of beige and brick on that stretch of Hillsborough, and the retail offerings are less than stellar (the CVS is a nice necessity, and the tea/snack shop is alright… when they’re open lmao). But otherwise, it basically has the appearance of a giant brick wall. Not even close to being inviting and attractive.

1 Like

Drifting o/t here, but in my book Stanhope is fine. Good, even. It’s just a matter of finding the right retail tenants - which might take a few years, especially given how COVID has affected in-person dining and such.

“Uncommon” across the street, on the other hand, is a turd. Maybe that’s another one that I’d put in the “not good enough” category.

7 Likes

One thing to keep in mind is that Stanhope is basically the second-to-last midrise on Hillsborough. The ground level experience for a five-over-one is going to be at its best when it’s centrally located, because it’s going to have more foot traffic (which, in turn, will draw better retail). There’s not nearly as much foot traffic in front of Stanhope as there is further down Hillsborough, so the on-street experience just feels… off. Keep building down Hillsborough (which I expect they intend to do), and I guarantee that Stanhope will start to blend right in with the rest of the street.

3 Likes

We can stand in solidarity on The Uncommon - aka the most “Common” looking beige apartment building I’ve ever seen. The windows on that thing are barely big enough for a cat to see out of. It honestly looks like a prison. Even the retail spaces have windows that are barely big enough to let any light inside. It’s unreal how aggressively ugly and uninviting it is.

7 Likes

Above all that, it’s just so monolithic and unattractive, so while foot traffic may entice more/better retail options - it’s still gonna be a giant brick wall, regardless.

1 Like

I feel like it kind of fits though… I mean sure they could have done something more interesting, but it’s NCSU student apartments. The brick makes sense because it ties in with everything else on campus.

Bringing this back to the Cabarrus development- I’m not expecting it to look like some amazing statement piece of architecture. I would prefer that it tie into and fit the neighboring areas since I will literally have to look at it every single day.

7 Likes

more renderings. of the dupont side. along with some of the other stuff in the works along dupont, this could be an interesting area of retail.

19 Likes