Platform and West End II - Development at W Cabarrus/S Saunders

Ahhhh just name the building climate change apartments and it will fill up with brilliant hipsters that will have no issues being radiated by that thing, oh the irony.

1 Like

I don’t know why you’re worried about it, sounds like you’re already wearing a protective tinfoil hat

2 Likes

These things are literally everywhere and new ones are popping up on utility poles everywhere. I think the only way to avoid them is to live underground at this point.

wait, people scared of cell phone towers is a real thing?? dont they know the earth is flat so there’s no such thing as gravity so all the bad invisible stuff just floats away?? #science

5 Likes

It must be rather dark in your house considering that lightbulbs emit higher energy electromagnetic radiation than a mmW cell tower.

3 Likes

At the beginning of the pandemic, people were saying 5G causes Covid.

1 Like

“They” didn’t seem to care about AM radio, or FM, or GPS, or Bluetooth. All RF. Oh, so is light…and sound…

1 Like

Moving right along

30 Likes

Raleigh to the moon :full_moon::rocket:

12 Likes

Views from Cabarrus…

Views from Dupont Cir

Train just happened to be on The Platform.

27 Likes

Solid floors already!

19 Likes

Lots of workers but this building is going up slowly.

24 Likes

HUGE footprint, gotta imagine that’s the cause for the low speed of progress.

5 Likes

I actually think they’re doing pretty well. I think they had a decent amount of ground prep (and still are working on some remediation items along Cabarrus) but they already have solid ground slab poured along Dupont Cir. Given this is mostly stick built, I think we’ll see this take off soon.

You can see a bit of the concrete slab in the background.

19 Likes

Yes, they have to get the base perfect. Then once they transition to wood, it’s likely going to fly up.

5 Likes

This site is a brownfield, so I imagine there have been some environmental requirements involved that could slow the work a bit. They’ve also been moving a lot of dirt!

The project manager informed us that another crane will be set up in early April to start installing precast slabs for the parking deck. So activity will be picking up soon.

13 Likes

I was wondering about that. With a lot this size, that one crane doesn’t reach it all.

Ah, here I am Oct of last year saying that :slight_smile: :

2 Likes

Concrete pad more visible from up here.
Also, I suspect they’ll use a mobile crane for the parking deck. That’s what they used for SmoHo 2’s deck.

21 Likes

This really is a big project. So much going on!

Along Cabarrus

Zoomed in on the parking deck progress

More concrete progress off Dupot Cir

Parking deck from Dupont Cir

Freshly poured concrete pad

30 Likes

Do you have to don a construction helmet and carry some tools to make it on these construction sites? :wink: