Possible New Development Locations and Projects - Rezonings

Funny to think back on scrapped plans. From 2008 I think, 11 story retail, office, Hyatt Hotel was supposed to go where Link is.

3 Likes

I know north hills has one but how Downtown Raleigh doesn’t have a Hyatt place and Hyatt house is crazy to me - every city has them :joy: (I have a Hyatt card and basically only stay at them for some reason)

3 Likes

I feel like something like that could work in that open field next to the building Five Star is in. If my memory serves correct it’s at the intersection of North and West street too. Honestly anything would look better there than the open field it is now IMO

1 Like

With downtown Raleigh’s history of being primarily a government town, it’s easy to see why hotel brands didn’t invest in the city. The core needs more corporate presence to justify further investment in upscale hotels.

9 Likes

As @pe1358 posted in the Downtown Hotels thread, a Hyatt House will be part of the Seaboard Station development.

5 Likes

9 posts were split to a new topic: The Alexan, 401 West Lane Street

yup. can’t happen soon enough!

@Anti-carAction not too bad use of the space all in all. and the parking is hidden

I was speaking more about the Hyatt place / Hyatt house lower end types that are in most downtowns. Even smaller ones such as Greensboro etc.

3 Likes

I remember seeing this monstrosity.

I don’t know man… I’d take this over the 5ish story, stick-built, retail-less Link Apartment building any day…

5 Likes

Proposed 40-story rezoning text change of 316 W Edenton Street has passed the city council. David Cox only one in opposition.

18 Likes

That’s the one where there’s no plan for anytime soon right?

No that’s 401 Hillsborough. This project, the developer seems eager for rezoning ASAP to start working on a project for this property.

Still this is Raleigh so Durham will have ten 27-story towers planned and finished before this project even starts. lol

5 Likes

This is for the Reynolds Building on the NE corner of Edenton/Harrington right?

Durham approves/builds that much faster than Raleigh? (I know it was sarcasm but I’m still curious lol)

1 Like

The 8/21 TBJ article quoted a partner of Trinity Capital as saying explicitly there is a long term lease on the property and this was a value-add for further down the line

1 Like

Shame so at least two 40 story zoning that will sit for a long while.

I could’ve sworn this parking lot was a long term zone and hold?

1 Like

The last thing Raleigh needs is a 40 story, glass, stick-like building similar to the “futuristic” buildings in NYC.

1 Like

Or Charlotte, don’t forget about Charlotte… :wink: :rofl: :joy: