Raleigh-area Mall / RTP Redevelopments

This is random but, I love Raleigh!

14 Likes

Itā€™s not random; itā€™s why weā€™re all here! :+1:

10 Likes

The traffic engineers I spoke to last night called this design a ā€œyin yangā€ interchange. Itā€™s a design that allows for a lot of through-put but the signage might be more difficult with this design. There are trade-offs to all the designs.

3 Likes

Interesting you chose Option 3 to modify. I also chose Option 3 as my preferred option. I commented that Ridge connect with Crabtree Valley Ave. for local trafficā€“along with Leadmine, Blue Ridge, Creedmore, and Edwards Mill. And the throughput corridors of I440 and Glenwood.

I definitely like the transit corridor addition you have. One thing the DOT staff stressed about all these conceptsā€“they donā€™t include any consideration for bike/pedestrian infrastructure. They wanted to get the road design completed before integrating other aspects. The construction phase of this project is not until 2025.

2 Likes

I went to the event at the Hilton Garden Inn. Many of my questions were answered. I tend to prefer 1, 2, and 3. But frankly, any of them would be an improvement. Depending on which direction you live, some of the options might be more convenient than others, but I found all of them to be workable for me.

My impression is that theyā€™re quite a ways from finalizing a design, and they might still mix-and-match elements of several scenarios. And then thereā€™s the question of money. Some of the scenarios are most costly than others.

As for the proposed development at Crabtree, letā€™s see what happens and how quickly the developers push for it. Iā€™m not overly excited by it at this juncture.

2 Likes

Canā€™t get much worse the thisā€¦

http://letsgetmoving.org/cms/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/PDP0050-02.jpg

5 Likes

Thatā€™s the reason I honestly like Option 3 (the less awful ā€œyin-yangā€ interchange) over Option 2 (the worse one), since the former puts more diversions on off-ramps getting onto 440. I think this means drivers getting off of 440 have a more intuitive experience. Compared to drivers who are already on a normal road, drivers coming off of the interstate would not be as mentally prepared to snake through multiple intersections to get to the mall.

case study: Option 3

I hope so. Like I said before, option 3 seems like the least crappy of all the ideas, but it seems like more thought needs to be put into this.

1 Like

Iā€™m surprised this thread is allowed. This projectā€™s not in downtown or even inside the belt line. Whatā€™s next, a North Hills thread?

Not that Iā€™m complaining. I like these threads; theyā€™re not covered well elsewhere. The Triangle UrbanPlanet thread has very little action compared to here. Leoā€™s site is super happening, so Iā€™d love to see the topics expanded. But I figure this will remain a DTR focused site.

4 Likes

Like I said here itā€™s a little gray for me, to be honest. With more topics comes more users, meaning I must moderate more, which takes more time. More users generate more posts which ups my server costs.

I know Iā€™m not ready to take that on because I like doing other things as well. Call it balance. I also know DTR so well that I couldnā€™t moderate things like I-540 problems or Caryā€™s problems real well. I just donā€™t know that.

However, if a passionate individual or two want to pair up (bringing the time and the $$$) itā€™s always possible to go bigger. Iā€™m just not asking around for that right now.

7 Likes

Can we take a poll or something to see if folks would mind if you put up a Paypal donation button to help cover some costs?

5 Likes

Whoā€™s the guy that runs ITBInsider.com? Would he be interested in teaming up?

He just popped into my head. I donā€™t know anything about him or what (if any) relationship you have with him.

1 Like

There has been a Paypal donate button for almost two years. However, Iā€™m modest and donā€™t ask for money but once a year (on the blogā€™s birthday in January) and right now, everything has been running on donations for almost a year now, so so far, so good. Iā€™m at a nice level of ā€œoperating costsā€ vs donation ratio. Iā€™m very happy for that. (Thank you all!)

However, I just (like a week ago) had to increase server costs but Iā€™m ok with it. If you click the hamburger icon in the top right, thereā€™s a donate link there. FYI.

Anyway itā€™s all good now. A news article about Crabtree is perfect for The Pub. We can follow the controversy/politics around the new tower there. When/if construction starts to happen then the thread is ready to move to New Construction and therefore wonā€™t be allowed cause itā€™s not in DTR.

1 Like

Weā€™ve met many times. Cool dude, I really like chatting with him. I think heā€™s all famous now from Fyre Festival :smile: so has some projects going on. Heā€™s a casual supporter in the background Iā€™m sure.

4 Likes

Oh, I meant in here, not hidden behind a menu. I never noticed it.

Iā€™m sure. And thatā€™s ok. I wanted a cleaner look and didnā€™t want to put links everywhere.

(Not until they are absolutely needed anyway)

Iā€™ve got a recurring donation going for Leoā€™s blog on paypal. Throwing a few bucks in the tip jar.
But Leo doesnā€™t really promote the idea of donations to help with the site, so it was hard to find where I found the links. I send to a number of other blogs and youtube channels that I watch daily. I budget $60/month on social media independent providers (my wife does about half that to her faves, so weā€™re close to $100). Still cheaper than cable TV (donā€™t have it) and these internet content providers are so much better.

I did find the link here (search for paypal). I would use that instead of the info I pasted below (which could be altered) so use his official link.

Donate to the Blog

Two ways to contribute:

8 Likes

Click the 3 bars in upper right of screen and then ā€œDonateā€

8 Likes

Iā€™m seeing some donations roll in. Thanks a lot all! Will hit you up personally.

3 Likes

Donated $20 to keep this thread open please :slight_smile: thanks for your hard work, if I can get time Iā€™ll buy you a round next meetup

6 Likes

Can I donate $$$ to have a thread closed?
I think you all know which one Iā€™m talking about.

Kidding, kidding, all threads are beautiful.

3 Likes