Raleigh Union Station and RUSbus Facility / Union West

aw, dang. I had seen the conceptual vignettes and thought design was already underway. I like the scheme/masterplan and hope whichever developer is selected sticks to the vision. Any idea if architecture firms are being requested to team with developers for the RFP, or if it’s just a call for developers while the firm will be selected at a later date?

1 Like

It would be very interesting if it is indeed another block. If I’m not incorrect, though, the RUS BUS development will be closer to the height of the Dillon, meaning GoTriangle will have to request a rezoning to build higher than the 12 floors currently allowed.

1 Like

Yes , They are going to request a rezoning height change .

2 Likes

The Dillion is all office floors so even a 20 story RUSbus tower could likely not be as tall though if you’re going to add affordable housing the bigger the tower the cheaper it would be to incorporate affordable housing.

1 Like

Not only that, the fact that Federal $$ is involved means that pretty much every step of the process is going to get dragged out due to red tape. That’s just the nature of the beast.

1 Like

If I remember right the concept of the project was two towers on that block. Both 20 stories but one was office and the other was hotel and residential. So there’s a good chance that the office tower would in fact be a decent but taller then the Dillon. Someone can correct me on that though if I have it wrong. I just remember the two towers.

3 Likes

this is from the RUSBus website… Not sure how old this is, or if it is still even on the table at this point.

7 Likes

This would be so rad. Especially if it blocks the Dillon parking deck from boylan bridge :camera_flash:

4 Likes

…instead you’ll see the parking deck of the new towers.

4 Likes

This will be so sadly true it hurts.

2 Likes

And the parking deck of the new Kane development on Cabarrus, most likely.

3 Likes

Not to mention the parking deck at One Glenwood/Origin Hotel.

1 Like

Raleigh, The City of Parking Decks.

2 Likes

It’s not just Raleigh. All fast growing cities without broad transit options are seeing more and more parking decks and pedestals. They are a sad result of people returning to our central cities without robust transit. Put another way, they are the urban equivalent of giant suburban surface parking lots.
The larger the building, the larger the parking pedestal and associated decks will be.

5 Likes

would love to see rental car service locate to RUS…would be quicker for folks that are visiting Raleigh to rent a car and go to where they need to

4 Likes

That would be nice, keep the vehicles in a small section of the new parking deck.

1 Like

I think Enterprise should move into the new storage facility on South Street. There are plenty of spaces under the building and there is office space they could use. Perfect spot for them.

3 Likes

The spaces below are for people loading and unloading their stuff in the storage units and for storing vehicles. There really isn’t as much room as you think. Also the center retail bay has been leased out to a convenience store which is currently doing a fitout of the space. They had the last space ready to lease but that deal fell through but I think they have something lined up.

1 Like

Wow. Stumbled on this one from the archives. This could have been pretty interesting.

7 Likes

Yeah, this was one of my favorites as you would have been able to drive forward into the complex from Glenwood ave. And of course, now Glenwood dead ends into the hotel/parking deck…sigh!

2 Likes