Raleigh Union Station and RUSbus Facility / Union West

That just seems like a whole “lotta” car action going on there. I’m happy that it didn’t end up that way.

2 Likes

I was recently re-reading the document for this project that refers to GoTriangle taking bids in early 2019. Does anyone know if any of that information would have to be made public? I would think that getting this built by 2022 would require an aggressive schedule?

2 Likes

Yes, this goes back a ways when light rail still had a heartbeat and developers hadn’t yet bid up land prices.

https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/news/2019/04/05/the-world-class-multi-modal-project-headed-for.html

Take aways relevant for us here:

-Lot of interest, 7 developers short listed (names not revealed). Likely some from out of state
-complicated project with the transit portion
-warehouse character needs to be somehow incorporated
-timeline: “… that could lead to construction starting in mid 2020 with a goal of completion for late 2022.”

8 Likes

Kane reps mentioned at our neighborhood meeting last week that they are bidding on this project, so there’s one of the seven.

8 Likes

If you want it to start and finish on time and be built smart you better pray for Kane, gets sh… done yo!

4 Likes

Mann envisions a “world-class, multi-modal campus” that further connects Raleigh’s Union Station to the region, accommodating multiple transit options, from the buses and trains currently serving Raleigh to future rail lines and Bus Rapid Transit.

From the article, this is perhaps the most encouraging sentence. I like that the project plans for future rail lines, and hope that it includes commuter rail and a station.

3 Likes

That really is a good quote. However, nothing more than words, unless there is “teeth” to actually make that happen. I am not aware of how we would be able to “chew” our way to a really good project, as just saying we’ll simply have to accept what seems the best presentation provided. How can you seriously and truly “encourage” what I think that “we” all want?

1 Like

I got a tour of Raleigh Union Station today. It’s a remarkable place. They have already built the platform and stairs for the future Commuter train line which does not yet exist. The tracks will run East of the existing platform and a second platform will be built to reach it. Inside the terminal, all they will have to do is tear down the wall hiding the hallway and stairs and finish it up to the new platform.

They also talked about the plans for RUS Bus. It will have sections of 20 story building for apartments, possibly hotel, office space. It will have retail close to street level and a 3rd floor catwalk that will go over the train tracks to Raleigh Union Station.

Here is a presentation about phase 2 they sent me afterward.

The link below you will find renderings of proposed phase II of Raleigh Union Station “RUS BUS” project. Which include BRT lines on West street. Please share with your friends.

http://rusbusnc.com/

7 Likes

Thanks @djberryann – the update was great. The link to the presentation was really cool. Check out this illustration of what’s “under development” and what’s “potential development.” It has the Kane project on Cabarrus marked as “under development”

8 Likes

Wow, that is quite a view of how Kane is reshaping downtown!

Most of these “under development” buildings are today parking lots or old, non-historical buildings but with no construction going on yet.

That group of buildings South of the train tracks is the view from the Raleigh Union Station train platform looking South. Today it is dirt lots for a transportation company. They did tell us that Kane had purchased it all.

Cool perspective, thanks.

3 Likes

I am confused, I thought the High Speed rail was going through piedmont crescent to Charlotte and on to Atlanta. The arrows on images show it heading southeast from Raleigh where there are no major cities until Florida???

1 Like

I think that’s a mistake on the diagram. The HSR should be on the other leg of the wye.

1 Like

Great start. Excited to see where it goes.

Martin and Hargett should become multimodal; pedestrian, cycle track, new circulator between Moore square and RUS.

The circulator should be a unique experience, like small autonomous mini busses (say, a dozen passengers). Have them queued up at the RUS ready to leave when they get a rider or then if no riders they then leave on a regular schedule ensuring regular service across the loop.

2 Likes

The formal SEHSR project runs Raleigh-Richmond. VDOT is making separate but coordinated improvements Richmond-DC. NCDOT is making separate but coordinated improvements Raleigh-Charlotte, including an increase of top speed to 90 mph. The objective for Raleigh-Charlotte remains 2 hours 30 minutes, although I suspect that 2 hours 45 minutes is a more likely outcome. At present it’s 3 hours 10 minutes.

There has been informal chatter about Atlanta-Charlotte but nothing more. Within Georgia, the question is whether Atlanta-Charlotte is as important as Atlanta-Savannah/Jacksonville. From my perspective, the question is moot because Georgia has never spent a penny on passenger rail service. For that matter, neither has South Carolina. No bucks, no trains.

3 Likes

There is I a lot to this project, and I like most of it so far…However, I am surprised that they decided to have the front of the building (facing the Dillion) be the drop off point for the BRT?
In the original plan, the idea was to incorporate access from the Hargett street side? I wonder how others feel about essentially loosing “auto” access from that street as well as the “straight-shot” that street offered?

I didn’t take a shot specifically for this block but it’s worth the reference anyway.

Top left of this shot:

6 Likes

These are all amazing shots. Thanks for posting them.

What time of day are you taking these? As I look at all the photos, I hardly ever see a pedestrian on any of the streets.

Based on the shadows, I’m guessing 6pm

2 Likes

@daviddonovan @evan.j.bost
I went out basically right after work so this would be between 5 and near dark. The Moore Square and Days Inn shots were nearly at sun down (in that order).