Sites 2 & 3, Omni CC Hotel + Tower

I think we all need to settle down a little bit :joy:. Remember the Edison block proposal? Now we’ve got a 6 story apartment, skyhouse, and a parking lot.

15 Likes

Wait a minute. It’s already zoned DX-40. How can Dr. Cox throw out an AH comment here?

4 Likes

Because that’s what he does…how he won re-election is baffling

3 Likes

I wonder if he pushes to include affordable housing every time a new golf club / gated community is proposed up in Wakefield.

15 Likes

I live in District B. Same bunch that kept reelecting John Odom.

Ah yes, what a great spot for affordable housing…a 40 story office tower or hotel.
At this point the guy is just comic relief

4 Likes

Cox is full of crap. He doesn’t care about affordable housing. If he did, he’d advocate for it in his district. He’s just trying to sidetrack this project.

On a happier note, just think a year ago at this time we had Stef Mendell killing sidewalk projects because like two residents complained. Look how far we’ve come! Protect this council at all costs lol

13 Likes

Not really knowing the actual details, but plans like these usually take a long time before they reach this stage. This new council have barely been in office. Probably most of the credit should go to the previous council.

Maybe…One Day…

27 Likes

Holy sh!t is that… is that a … REAL CITY??? :joy:

13 Likes

I have to remind myself… Lots of cities have impressive skylines and although it’s nice to have, we certainly shouldn’t make any sacrifices to the city’s UI to achieve it. Fortunately, the 3 towers drawn in here would all be improvements to the street level experience as well as the skyline :slight_smile:

9 Likes

TBJ just posted an article providing more details about the project. It sounds like the city and county will be providing $30M towards the project for parking and infrastructure. I wonder if they will be charging the developer a fee for the land, or just provide the lot to assure this project gets started quicker.

“In 2019, the city and Wake County approved spending $30 million from the hospitality tax on parking and infrastructure for the project”

https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/news/2020/01/22/raleigh-moves-forward-withdowntown-hotel-project.html?iana=hpmvp_trig_news_headline

8 Likes

So, do I blow up his email every time the Council votes on a permit where he doesn’t add universal inclusion for AH? (Giggle)

1 Like

@Drew thanks for the article.

I think the current city leaders have a sense of urgency, realizing there’s a window of opportunity from the recent elections that swept many of them into power that the public is behind them on this.
Coupled with the general view that the economy is still rocking, but may finally cool off in a year or two (possibly half way into the next presidential term). So… get those re-locations to DTR under your belt now!

The $30 million approved by the city and the county go toward parking and infrastructure for this project, so they’re not direct incentives such as tax abatements for the future tenants.

Maybe they’ll poney up some money above the $30M to further sweeten the pot, like the state did for Eli Lilly’s $474M plant (462 jobs) in RTP, or Durham County’s $12.5M package for Merck’s 400 jobs. Also Corning is creating 300 jobs (Durham) for incentives and AveXis is creating 200 jobs in Durham for their new $60M gene therapy plant for $3M in incentives from the state.

These last examples are specialties for the RTP region for pharma-related companies, but the same could apply to tech/financial/info-tech companies that want a high visible spot in Raleigh. The city/county/state need to work together to cover the loot needed to lure these guys in.

2 Likes

Because the city owns the land, they hold more cards on what gets built. This is a differentiator between this potential project and others.
I’d love to know exactly how the city intends to spend its money on parking. I’d love to see them take it underground like FNB.
Once this project gets out of the ground, the next target should be that suburban NCAE site to the west of Duke Energy Center. There’s even more land there than on these two city owned lots.

4 Likes

43 posts were merged into an existing topic: General Parking Discussion

Looks awesome! + 603 S Wilmington, Courtyard, & Nexus visible from this angle as well!

1 Like

That’s probably going to be the end of the big Fayetteville Street festivals, too. (except World of Bluegrass and First Night Raleigh). But, those have been dwindling back for some time any way.

They said in presentation that the City’s Urban Design Center did these renderings. They paid the consultant for the other material

4 Likes

The city owns the property so they can ask what they want. If at all, I imagine they’ll suggest a similar arrangement to Kane’s (either a payment in-lieu or small set aside of units, my guess would be the former).