The future of downtown's historic neighborhoods

Traffic from this is such a silly concern. The real traffic there is cut through traffic from anyone east of there going to Costco (this is me and everyone who lives around me).

I am really excited about this because it will give way more people the ability for their kids to walk to school at Conn or walk to Brookside.

4 Likes

Oh for sure - I have to use Brookside to get from my house to anywhere north or east, and I go to Wegmans and Greenville a lot. It starts to function as a road, not a street, as soon as it passes Glascock.

2 Likes

The city would set themselves up for a lawsuit to try to deny a project submitted by right.

1 Like

9 Likes

I think what is happening is that people who don’t like these projects are being very loud and trying to get missing middle stopped/changed.

That is what happened with Hayes Barton and the Barksdale townhomes.

So they will try and use this as another example to get Councilors to stop it.

3 Likes

Aha! And we’ve found the source of the other mysterious funky house that’s been debated in this forum.

Super excited about these folks relocating in Raleigh. They’ve worked at some of the top firms in the world; should add some freshness to the design community.

8 Likes

Their style is not my cup of tea, but their commitment to making their buildings friendly to the sidewalk experience is incredibly refreshing. More porches and stoops, fewer garage doors and windowless walls please!

4 Likes

If they’re any good they won’t have a “style.” :slight_smile:
Interested to see what they do after this first round of infill houses. Makes sense to reuse some of the same detailing/materials to bring some cash in and then diversify when they can.

2 Likes

Decent density popping up along this block with the 10 townhomes almost next door too

Brookside-EXT-02

17 Likes

Man those sides that face Brookside are brutal (and I say that living in a townhouse development that does the same thing). Hopefully they get some landscaping going on there.

Otherwise, full speed ahead!

8 Likes

I agree. I absolutely hate when these sorts of developments don’t have their end units successfully addressing the sidewalk.
Why can’t the street facing facade at least have that contrasting vertical element like we see on each unit facing the driveway? That’s just a horrendous facade.

8 Likes

agreed. here’s their close up on the street view. I think the Carson in Five Points did a good job of addressing the street

Brookside-EXT-01 (1)

1 Like

And to think that renderings are usually optimistic in how it will really look!

1 Like

Kind of crazy the footprint difference to number of units between this and the Casita. Makes me like the Casita even more

1 Like

Agree, would be so much nicer if the ends addressed the street. Makes me think people will compare these two developments and say they wished the ten townhomes looked like the 17 unit apartments next door!

1 Like

I think they have equipment staged on site for these to begin. I’ll try and get a picture at lunch

They definitely have some construction fencing around the back and the front yards look torn up like someone’s been driving equipment on them. Real pre-demo vibes.

1 Like

What do folks have against windows these days?

3 Likes

Brookside Townhomes demo is underway (and almost complete, those houses were made of matchsticks and built on cinderblock foundations)

8 Likes

Apparently Denver banned these (what they call “slot” developments) a few years ago? I dug up this article, which has some good example images of potential alternatives that address the street.

“General” form

“Garden court” form

“Apartment” form

26 Likes